• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

Re: Is the deadhead an endangered species?

#110090 2 years, 9 months ago
"I was going to add something else but sat back for a few puffs first now I totally forgot."

Mushrooman: If there was a test for being a deadhead (which to the best of my knowledge their isn't) you would definately pass.
Welcome to the club, now don't bogart...
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
Lynx3000
Junior Boarder

#110091 2 years, 9 months ago
Yes. Very endangered. I propose we begin capturing the fittest wild deadheads we can find and then start breeding them in captivity to increase genetic diversity amongst the population in hopes of making the species more viable long-term. We will raise each newborn deadlet using hand puppets with dread locks and that smell like patchouli to insure that the deadlets imprint upon their own kind. We will know they are ready to be released into the wild and join the rest of the herd when they stop doing chores and instead walk around the house with their finger in the air hoping to be miracled an allowance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave, Terrapin Sedation, scar1et_f1re, SunshineSue, amusingdeva, volare, mortimer
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#110094 2 years, 9 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
I consider myself a deadhead regardless about what anyone thinks of you if you never saw Jerry. I probably listen to more or as much Jerry as a lot of old heads out there, if I could of seen him I obviously would of but just cause I was born to late dosn't make me nonqualified to be a head.

I was going to add something else but sat back for a few puffs first now I totally forgot
jah_2012-01-10.gif

I totally agree. In my book it has nothing to do with seeing Jerry. If that were true can you be a deadhead if you never heard Pigpen? What about Keith and Donna? TC?

I think most people outside our tribe view deadheads in a negative light. I can't tell you how many cops and ushers have laughed at me and the other fans for grooving. I have the self satisfaction of knowing they got it all wrong, but I generally keep my distance. The truth is there are plenty of very kind and caring people here. And plenty of professionals too (not that being a professional means squat, but we are not all homeless bums robbing people for a living).

I think the majority of people who know anything about the GD think of us ALL as long haired drugged up spaced out hippy freaks tripping on acid and spending every waking minute searching for the ultimate buzz. I say those people with those attitudes can go f themselves.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDad420
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#110104 2 years, 9 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
I consider myself a deadhead regardless about what anyone thinks of you if you never saw Jerry. I probably listen to more or as much Jerry as a lot of old heads out there, if I could of seen him I obviously would of but just cause I was born to late dosn't make me nonqualified to be a head.

I was going to add something else but sat back for a few puffs first now I totally forgot
jah_2012-01-10.gif

Now you are blowing me away MM. This morning I learned that Snoop Doggy Dog may smoke the wacky tobacci. Then someone else said both Willie Nelson and Tommy Chong smoke weed. Don't telll me that rhastas also smoke the kindbud? I thought kind was only for us deadheads. Almost too much for my simple mind to fathom.

Next you will tell me that may not be a cigarette in Jerry's mouth?

Jerrymovinggif.gif

Anyway, all good, it's 4:20 for me in about 10 min. Yahoooooooooooooooooo

Smiley_facemp_2012-01-10.jpg
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#110122 2 years, 9 months ago
I am a deadhead...although I still don't share that fact to everyone at work... so by that very fact alone, we exist.

But it is much deeper than that.

I have a daughter who loves the dead, furthur, ect...and I playfully refer to her as my deadhead spawn.

If it is about the music, and I think we all agree it is, deadheads exist and will exist ....as long as the music exists.

Lots of fuel left in this bus.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#110127 2 years, 9 months ago
I would say passion is key here. Do the synapses mysteriously start whirling, goosebumps rise, pulse quicken. Did you work through pages reading this thread or any others. Bottom line does the music MOVE ya ass or do you talk incessantly through a show. Endangered? If the amount of folks of all stripes absolutely getting after it and shaking thier bones during The Run is any indication then No Way jose. But if I may, and this has been something I can't stop thinking about, what is the future of this melting pot, of people, song and dance?
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#110131 2 years, 9 months ago
Question for Katie Mae:
You state the following; some of the new folks on the scene today who are disrespectful of the music and the scene - all the shit we've been talking about on this board since the NYE, like the folks who show up and make a lot of unwanted noise, or who mill about selling bad drugs, shitty possibly dosed food, and scamming their way into shows and being out of control in general, being a nuisance to the local neighborhoods, etc. - to me, those are not deadheads.
So here is my question: Back in the day, there weren't any people who "show(ed) up and make a lot of unwanted noise, or who mill about selling bad drugs, shitty possibly dosed food, and scamming their way into shows and being out of control in general, being a nuisance to the local neighborhoods, etc."
If I understand what you are saying, it is that you only qualify as a "deadhead", if you are a cool kind person who aspouses values that you think are positive?

More quotes from Jerry, circa 1983; "There are certain people who get fixated on the Grateful Dead, obsesssed with it. You don't want to have those people locked up, or you don't want to have to beat them up and leave them in an alley somewhere. They definitely are going to get in your face - they could be weird, potentially, but it's one of those things that you have to handle as you go. You have to be able to roll with it, to some extent. You have to have a little bit of emathy for people, because the Grateful Dead can be very powerful and people can get sucked into it in a way that can be harmful to them."
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#110140 2 years, 9 months ago
Ah dave, I knew I could count on an East Coaster to hone in that little omission. Yes, you are correct, such folks have always been a part of the scene, even back during the GOGD days. Of course. However, most of the folks who were just at shows to get fucked up and scam have long since left the scene because let's face it, there wasn't much of a "scene" for a long time, or only a few shows worth and then long lapses of nada. So most of the folks I'm referring to appear new to the scene and also younger. I think the folks some are referring to as wookies, perhaps gravitate to "the scene" because they think that it's about saying 'fuck you' to a real job, real responsibilities, and living a life off the normal social grid, if you will. And while that was a part of what the scene was way back at its inception, it hasn't been that for for a very long time and I'd wager to say that it hasn't been about that since the late 60's, or whenever the Summer of Love/Haight was at it's height.
I'm not a historical expert, just making comments based on what I personally know and what others who were there at the beginning have shared with me. I think Jerry would be the first to acknowledge that the "scene" hasn't been about dropping out of society for a long time.

All that said, I have to disagree with whoever said upthread "if you go to shows, you're a deadhead". I've known plenty of folks over the years that have gone to shows but are not deadheads, nor do they identify themselves with being a deadhead. Some people just like to go to live shows, they'll go to see any Dead iteration, Phish, ABB, Dave Matthews, etc. etc. etc. For them, they just like seeing live music - they get off on any decent band. For me, I really don't go to any live music much anymore with the exception of Dead-related shows, and really now only Furthur because it's the closest vibe to a GOGD show that I can get right now. I tried the other side bands that are available and they don't move me. And that last sentence really encapsulates what a deadhead is, at least to me. It's not just someone who likes to see a show now and again. It's not someone who "likes" the Grateful Dead. It's those of us who are truly moved by the music. Those of us to whom the lyrics speak to our inner souls - it's those of us who are touched so deeply by the music that we almost cannot find the words to explain how it makes us feel, nor what it truly means to us. But if you're talking to another deadhead and you start to try to explain, you end up just making some grunting noises or facial expressions and they nod, smiling, letting you know that even though you're not using your words, they totally understand what you're trying to say. To me, that is a deadhead. And most of those folks are nice, kind folks to boot. Not sure I clarified anything for you but that really sums it all up for me.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#110147 2 years, 9 months ago
I think a quick look at the crowd in The Grateful Dead movie will show you a whole lot of similarities to the scene of today. "I'm just trying to get my space together so I can go into the show!" There are plenty of people from the 70s crowd who tried to sneak in, didn't have tickets, etc, etc. I think that if you THINK you remember something different in the past, perhaps you weren't there, or the drugs were doing their jobs!
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by GratefulDad420.
Chester
More or less in line

#110149 2 years, 9 months ago
The true spirit will always be there. Though sometimes hard to find. And sometimes known by other names.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds