• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Is the deadhead an endangered species?

#109926 2 years, 9 months ago
I don't know the answer to this question, but you folks might. What are we called? I am still a huge fan of GD music listening and playing on guitar regularly, but don't really consider myself a deadhead anymore. Did that term die with Jerry or do you still call yourself a deadhead? Furthur is current and relevant, and I'm really digging where the band is taking us, but what are we called? I suppose there are die hard fans that don't dig Furthur and still call themselves heads. I'm happy just being as long as we don't call ourselves wookies! Do we reach Furthur or hang on? All this talk of late about Jerry in the last years has me thinking about this again.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Bakes. Reason: Edit for my awful phone typing skills
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: Is the deadhead an endangered species?

#109927 2 years, 9 months ago
We are called humans. Their are seven billion of us. That's the greatest distinction I try and allow myself. everything else always seems trivial after some deep thinking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bakes
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#109930 2 years, 9 months ago
I am and always will be a deadhead. The magical journey began more than 40 years ago, and there are still a massive amount of deadheads around. Much more than when the bus first left in the '60's, but perhaps fewer than the peak of the late mid / late 90's.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bakes
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#109931 2 years, 9 months ago
Bakes wrote:
I don't know ths answer to this question, but you folks might. What are we called? I am still a huge fan of GD music listening ang playing on guitar regulary, but don't really consider myself a deadhead anymore. Did that term die with Jerry or do you still call yourself a deadhead? Furthur is current and relevant, and I'm really digging where the band is taking us, but what are we called? I suppose their afe die hard fans that don't dig Furthur and still all themselves heads. I'm happy just being as long as we don't call ourselves wookies! Do wd reach Furthur or hang on? All this talk of late about Jerry in the last years has me thinking about this again.

Before you can have this discussion, you really need to define what a "deadhead" is. Because you touch on it above, but it's not clear - is it a person who got on the bus when Jerry was alive and the GOGD was around? Or can someone who just got on the Furthur bus, who never saw the GOGD be considered a "deadhead"? Or are they "Furtherheads"? I mean, the music is by and large the same, it's just being played slightly differently due to certain folks being no longer with us. So I think you have to define what a deadhead is first, then tackle the question of whether or not they are an endangered species. And good luck with that because I think it'll be like talking about who is better, this one from Furthur or that one from the GOGD! You'll never get consensus on it, but it might be fun to see what folks think.

Now, to attempt to answer some of your question, it's hard to say because I'm not sure a deadhead can be someone who never saw the GD. Then again, if you got turned on to the GD after Jerry passed, and you love the music, well, I guess you could be called a deadhead, couldn't you? I'm not sure, just thinking aloud. What I do know, and this is obviously my opinion and won't be shared by all, is that some of the new folks on the scene today who are disrespectful of the music and the scene - all the shit we've been talking about on this board since the NYE, like the folks who show up and make a lot of unwanted noise, or who mill about selling bad drugs, shitty possibly dosed food, and scamming their way into shows and being out of control in general, being a nuisance to the local neighborhoods, etc. - to me, those are not deadheads. I think regardless of whether one loves the music or not, the basic qualities of a deadhead include: respect and acceptance of those different from oneself (so long as the person isn't part of the above scammer crew), a general admiration and love of unity/people power (sounds corny but I can't think of another way to phrase it since I'm working off of one cup of joe this morning), an interest in the the magic of this universe we live in, a love of nature, stuff like that. Which really could be describing a classic hippie - the only difference being that not all hippies are deadheads, and not all deadheads are hippies - at least not on the outside. But then again, it's what's on the inside that really counts, isn't it?
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by katie mae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDad420, Bakes, mortimer
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#109932 2 years, 9 months ago
double post
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#109933 2 years, 9 months ago
triple post
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#109942 2 years, 9 months ago
There's more to being a Dead Head than going to listen to Jerry.

There's a philosophy involved.

I am proud to call myself a Dead Head.

I will always consider myself one.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva, 23atwell, will work for doses
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#109947 2 years, 9 months ago
dead.jpg
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#109953 2 years, 9 months ago
Ossumpei wrote:
There's more to being a Dead Head than going to listen to Jerry.

There's a philosophy involved.

I am proud to call myself a Dead Head.

I will always consider myself one.

Well said....was trying to come up with something to post here & this says it all.
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
DrippingColors
Senior Boarder

#109960 2 years, 9 months ago
Sometimes we over think things
I'm still a Deadhead
We are fewer in number
Greying and aging
But smarter and saner
we hope
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds