• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

phil cuts off JK

#109708 2 years, 7 months ago
2011-12-30 the fri night show of the NYE run, during the final song of the 2nd set, lovelight, jk is ready to hammer one home at the very end and phil cuts him (and the rest of the band) off. you can hear john ready to blast off or as i always call the last solo in the last song of the 2nd set "one last ride"..pretty unfortunate. i could see it at some past curfew venue but it was BGCA, NYE nonetheless, let him soar phil! everything aside, amazing show!!!

and now, for your listening pleasure...

www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-12-3...hamcivicsanfrancisco
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
PsychicPyramid
Junior Boarder
HEAVY VIBES

Re: phil cuts off JK

#109731 2 years, 7 months ago
THAT JACK STRAW had tears pouring down my face.

I couldn't believe the energy right out of the gate!
Union Pacific, out of Cheyenne, from sea to shining sea
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#109753 2 years, 7 months ago
I noticed more then a couple occasions where Phil seems to want to end a jam sooner then the rest, take for instance the video of Furthur doing I Know You Rider on TRI. www.tristudios.com/default/index/detail/id/22

something of similar nature I noticed on the november tour, perhaps it was just me and not what it looked like, was during one of Jeff's solos Bob looking over at him like he was carrying on to much or something, or at least it looked like that. It happened more then once and with Bob looking over at JK like that to. maybe it was just me
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#109803 2 years, 7 months ago
they probably remember how Jerry was always in control of the length of his solos, and how sometimes they would meander off to nowhere...and this is their band and they want to keep things concise- in their own interpretation lol
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#109824 2 years, 7 months ago
You gotta realize Phil ain't no spring chicken these days. If he's tired, he's gonna cut it short.
All You Need
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#109874 2 years, 7 months ago
6:50 is a pretty short Lovelight. Passanger is the only song shorter that night at 6:17.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#110075 2 years, 7 months ago
mushroom man-- this is what people always meant by "keeping jk in a cage". not having the freedom to fly. have not seen too much of it recently and certainly not to the extent as it was in the beginning of this band where it seemed he was being "steered" a lot. and you're right, it's the "stare" from phil or bob. he knows what it means when it's shot his way. jeff as well, he falls into this boat too.

i think phil does this because he has his own idea of how the song should sound, from start to finish, and this varies. i don't think he was a little tired and decided to scrap "one last ride". he's a professional musician. maybe he is just sick of that same ride, and he wants to keep trying new ones, even if they're shorter. certainly he does not cut this tune off everytime, nor every 2nd set closer. we will just have to wait for the next one in april, see where it goes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#110107 2 years, 7 months ago
I was there but did not catch Phil cutting JK off. 12.30.11 might have been my favorite of the run, but all three shows raised the bar.

I think Phil directs the band based on his experience...he knows how easy it is for a jam to go nowhere...or go on too long...get boring.

It's a gamble.

You got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em!

I thought I heard Bob do the same thing on another song...but I got to relisten to figure out which one.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#110116 2 years, 7 months ago
george, so nice of you to drop in

make it back to alaska? or are you still in cali?
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#110120 2 years, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
george, so nice of you to drop in

make it back to alaska? or are you still in cali?

Still in Cali enjoying the warm weather. Head to Anchorage on the 15th after visiting family near Portland.

Note to reader: wlewis and I have been to over 50 Furthur shows together and he is the same age as my daughter!

Great music transends generations!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bakes
Time to create page: 1.22 seconds