• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: studio version

#110334 2 years, 9 months ago
american beauty is what got me into GD in the first place. i was still in the unknown to the vast amounts of live material that was not only available, but created in the first place. i bought box sets of all the other studio releases--not compilations, but their actual records. due to their "re-release" many of them contained a lot of live versions of tunes as bonus material. i loved it. one day i went over to my uncles and found out he was a head. he started me off with tons of great live discs and tapes he'd collected throughout the years.

for me i believe i was able to understand the music at it's core by listening to those studio releases off the bat. a lot of people get their first taste from some poor quality bootlegs (well, not so much anymore)and i think that could be a possible turn off. like chester says, lyrics are very clear, and i think this has a large part in understanding and becoming the music.

side note. my mother always loved the studio shakedown street. when i was learning the bass line to it, she heard it countless amounts of times. when she sees me it's always "hey burt, what's shakin on shakedown street?" and no, she's not a head.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#110335 2 years, 9 months ago
The Working Mans Dead And American Beauty pair. These 2 capture a great period of son writing And musicianship. I don't listen to studio work very often though. The creativity, energy And emotion have always resided in the live recordings. Thank you tapers!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#110344 2 years, 9 months ago
Hard to dispute American Beauty, but for me the best studio album is Wake of the Flood with good headphones....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds