• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: studio version

#109963 2 years, 3 months ago
I really got hooked big time by listening to the entire shakedown LP over and over. And back then, Shakedown Street was my favorite studio song too. Cool album art too IMO.

shakedownstreetlp.jpg

But for me, American Beauty was my favorite studio album. Box of rain is the only song I've ever heard where I think the quality of the studio recording is superior to any live recording I've ever heard. It's more emotional to hear BOR at a show, but that's different than quality.

I think David Grisman and David Nelson added a lot of "umph" to American Beauty. I especially enjoy Grisman on the mandolin in Ripple. And I did not know / realize Jerry was playing the piano on this one.

Musicians

Grateful Dead;

* Jerry Garcia - guitar, pedal steel, piano, vocals
* Phil Lesh - bass, guitar, piano, vocals
* Bob Weir - guitar, vocals
* Pigpen (Ron McKernan) - harmonica, vocals
* Mickey Hart - percussion
* Bill Kreutzmann - drums

Thanks to;

* Dave Torbert - bass on Box Of Rain
* Dave Nelson - electric guitar on Box Of Rain
* David Grisman - mandolin on Friend Of The Devil and Ripple
* Howard Wales - piano on Brokedown Palace and organ on Candyman and Truckin'
* Ned Lagin - piano on Candyman
* New Riders of the Purple Sage .
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#109971 2 years, 3 months ago

I've recently re-discovered American Beauty (for about the 3rd time) & it's been getting daily play in my garage / shop after work
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#109972 2 years, 3 months ago
One record I think has stood the test of time is Jerry's first solo album. I think Ace is still pretty good also.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#110044 2 years, 3 months ago
captaintony wrote:
Call me mr. Anti studio album I guess, this is an interesting topic, I was surprised to read that many of ya like their studio songs. My problem is I've heard the songs live so I have a major hearing problem when I hear the originals. They just don't sound the same to me for obvious reasons.

Garcia admitted to a lot of solo mistakes in recordings- like MArs Hotel. He said something to the effect of by the time he lays down the solo work, he's tired. And anyways, no one will be listening that critically anyways.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#110050 2 years, 3 months ago
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead take the cake for me as studio pieces, I think the deeper songs on those albums are superior to live versions i.e. Box, Ripple, Brokedown, UJB, FOD, and Attics and also I love the Dire Wolf in the studio because of the pedal steel, but if I were stuck on an island and could only take one record it would be American Beauty. And to clarify I think the deeper songs are superior because on those albums they started to place a high importance on the vocal parts and perfecting those and its something thats hard to do live
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#110056 2 years, 3 months ago
will work for doses wrote:
One record I think has stood the test of time is Jerry's first solo album. I think Ace is still pretty good also.

Agreed.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#110087 2 years, 3 months ago
Cold Rain and SNow is terrible Studio!!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#110253 2 years, 3 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead take the cake for me as studio pieces, I think the deeper songs on those albums are superior to live versions i.e. Box, Ripple, Brokedown, UJB, FOD, and Attics and also I love the Dire Wolf in the studio because of the pedal steel, but if I were stuck on an island and could only take one record it would be American Beauty. And to clarify I think the deeper songs are superior because on those albums they started to place a high importance on the vocal parts and perfecting those and its something thats hard to do live

jerry played pedal steel on teach your children in exchange for harmony lessons for the band from CSNY for these sessions
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#110255 2 years, 3 months ago
I always liked the studio Ship of Fools - so crisp and clear and a beautiful little Jerry solo at the end, I just always wished it went on a little longer
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by MushroomMan.
Chester
More or less in line

#110256 2 years, 3 months ago
Listening to Sirius GD channel, during my free trial, I heard many studio versions of some of my favorites.
So nice to hear the lyrics so crisp.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds