• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
66slim
Platinum Boarder

Re: What are you listening to right now?

#306462 8 months, 1 week ago
Ratdog-Warfield SF Rex Benefit 12-15-07
And leave it on!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#306471 8 months, 1 week ago
I love this any day of the year, but especially today!!

ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#306476 8 months, 1 week ago
the highway terror wrote:
^^^^^^^^give the Call "Modern Romans" a listen, Garth Hudson from the Band guests on keyboards on the song "the Walls Came Down" , good stuff

Also the Fixx "Shuttered Room"
Thomas Dolby "the Golden Age of Wireless"
the Talking Heads, Fear, ABC, Duran Duran lot's of good stuff from the 80's
Thanks for the recommendations.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#306484 8 months, 1 week ago
The 80's diversion is on the backburner for a bit. After listening to the 2nd set of gd70-02-11.sbd.wolfe-lee-smith.126251.flac16 and the wonderful Spanish Jam, I went back to this keen, very helpful blog deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/01/deads-early-thematic-jams.html

now listening to Miles Davis "Solea".

SPANISH JAM
Weir based the Spanish Jam on the song "Solea" on Miles Davis' album Sketches of Spain, sometime in late '67 when the Dead started recording Anthem of the Sun. As it was, a little bit of the Spanish Jam actually got on the album, in the form of a short Davis-flavored trumpet break from Phil in the middle of Born Cross-Eyed (after the verse, "Think I'll come back here again, every now and then, from time to time"). For a moment, it seems like Garcia and the band are about to break into the Spanish Jam, but they quickly cut back to the song....
In any case, the Spanish Jam debuted on the Anthem tour of early '68 and was played regularly - but, was soon dropped from the setlists (along with Born Cross-Eyed). Weir kept it in mind though, and it made a surprise reappearance at the 2-11-70 allstar-jam show, out of Dark Star. It then disappeared for three more years - was revived for two shows in March '73 (tied with Dark Star again on 3-24-73) - was dropped again - and, once again, emerged from nowhere in another Dark Star jam on 6-23-74. Finally the Dead felt ready for it, and played it frequently through the rest of '74. However, aside from one show in '76, the Spanish Jam remained unheard for several years after the hiatus, until another revival on 5-6-81. After that, it appeared now and then, from time to time in shows up to the end in '95, making it one of the longest-lasting Dead jams.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, jk420, HogBackHead
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

#307581 8 months ago
A little ladies' music is sounding good this morning.

HogBackHead
Junior Boarder

#308220 8 months ago
Dozin' At the Knick -- GD, NY, Spring '90. Didn't appreciate this incarnation of the band until much later on. Brent added much on the keys and new songs. Never a big Brent song fan but listening to this makes me think of a more innocent time in America. Suppose all nostalgic dead music does that to me

Funny Bob comment on when he started playing with Brent in his own band (before Brent joined the Dead), Brent is asking Bobby during a rehearsal if he should play organ or piano on a song and Bobby goes "I don't care. How about you play that one on this take and the other one on the next take?".
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

#309650 7 months, 4 weeks ago
Celebrating the one year anniversary of the Shaky Ground breakout. What a fun thing to throw in The Music Never Stopped!!

SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

#310353 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Just checking out some jazzy Scofield before diving into the season finale of Downton Abbey.

the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#310359 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Buddy Cage and Stir Fried
1/18/14
B.R.Y.A.C.
Bridgeport Ct.

archive.org/details/SF2014-01-18.aud.chard.berger.127115.flac16
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#310385 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Ratdog 2014-02-14

whew. They started this Kimock tour in space. The Music Never Stopped is amazing. I need some answers from Ratdog folk. I don't watch Ratdog closely, but it seems like Furthur has had some good influence on longer improvisations in Ratdog. Is that an accurate thing to say? I also know Kimock can turn any track into a 15-20 minute affair, so maybe it is his presence and not Phil wanting to jam everything into oblivion and bleeding over into Bob's stuff. I know Ratdog improvises, but I don't remember looking at a set list with several long jams like I'm seeing on this tour. Anyone have an opinion why this is happening now?
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds