• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

Re: Bring back Shakedown proper...

#110017 2 years, 3 months ago
Bilbo wrote:
skyties wrote:
Can we get a little help out there people? We have been trying our best to preserve the scene, keeping it clean so to speak. Old school, represent. Teach these children well, we're the ones on the road teachin' them the code that we can all live by. Keep tellin' the kids boycott that N2O, pick up after those that don't, support tour vendors, buy hippy stuff, did you ever hear of trading. I think that my wife and I have made some sort of dent in the nitrous trade, (otherwise they wouldn't keep threatening to torch our car). Sometimes it feels like a very lonely endeavor out there.
BOYCOTT NITROUS - KEEP THE SCENE CLEAN

BOYCOTT NITROUS....man you said it! I mean it's one thing to have a small tank going for some friends if that's what

you're into, but we've all seen the crack man out there surrounded by hundreds of empty balloons that he will not doubt

just leave there when he's done rakin' it in. Perhaps here is a good place for someone of knowledge to tell us how nitrous

works on the brain?

No doubt, much of it has to do with the presence of H in the land which is much more prevalant than it was "back in the

day". So we're kinda cunfused about what's to do? Perhaps our answers can be found in the music? "If you get confused,

listen to the music play!" Also, as a similar thread has put up..."Ain't no time to hate". We've been attempting to find

other lyrics

in other songs that might help us through this. "There is a road, no simple highway"...? "If you plant ice, you're gonna

harvest wind"....? Comes a time.......? On and on... And the idea put forth that nothing's going to be accomplished by

people avoiding "shakedown" is obviously quite true.

Gotta bring this up. gratefuldad420, thanks for posting those YT clips of "good" shakedown scenes.... they kinda warm

the heart and give hope. But the fifth one...Mann Center I think it is....what IS up with the ballons? Are those just

regular ol' balloons, or nitrous balloons? The reason we ask is because of the kids waiting in line for them....and we mean

KIDS..........??? Can't figure that out.

Yeah, at the Mann center, it's home of the Philly nitrous crew, and the reason I mentioned to avoid those guys, because they don't clean up after themselves, they don't put the money they take back into the scene and they have been known to get violent. I am not sure if we can do it, because nitrous IS hella fun, but we need to stop giving these guys money, or else they'll never go away.

I am guilty of liking nitrous, but when I do it, some friends and I go to the suppliers and buy our own tank, to share with our friends back at the hotel room, before and after the show. I even walked down to the BGCC from my hotel with 3 large punching balloons full, for myself. But we as a group need to stop supporting these assholes who just come to take away as much money as they can without helping out the scene, and don't even care about our music.

As I said, I am guilty of doing a few balloons when I want to party, but please, DO NOT buy it off those assholes running all the tanks up and down the east coast, or even on some lots on the west coast. If you take a look at them for about 2 minutes, you can tell that the majority of the nitrous vendors are just shady punks who do not belong on our scene. I have found the occasional nitrous guy on lot who does give good deals, is there for the music, and just happens to sell balloons. They accept refill balloons, collect their garbage, and spend money with the other vendors. They are few and far between, though, and if they aren't these type of people, please don't buy their nitrous!

I am not one to demonize any drug, but the people and the actions surrounding the people using them are definitely open to scrutiny!
Chester
More or less in line

#110023 2 years, 3 months ago
I really enjoyed the Albany shakedown. In the past with the Grateful Dead, and including the most recent show, with Furthur.
They were allowed to set up ahead of time, in one spot, and it was very organized, and lots of fun. The hap hazzard ones,
scattered all over a venues vicinity, just breeds problems. And although I have been known to try a little nitrous in the past,
I see that situation as getting completely out of hand, and one of the main examples of what's bad in the shakedown scene.
The nitrous dealers interrupt the flow of the scene, and seem to cause nothing but trouble. There was always an element
like that, but it's just gotten way out of control. I'm not sure I can see an easy solution. I guess we just have to make the best
of what we have now. And try and keep the scene clean.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#110046 2 years, 3 months ago
This is a new one.... If we are to believe what we are seeing...the Mann center YT clip shows kids that can't be more than

like 12 or so standing in line to buy balloons????? There must have been like two tanks going, one with just air, and

another with NO?

So there are some problems out there and they're not just localized to the SF shows. Does anyone really think that Furthur

will be back to Monterey after all that? There were some really positive moments there like camping in the little known

"campground" that was like 100 feet from the venue and held like all 40 of us! Once we got into the venue it was cool

too with it being totally vintage and unchanged since 1967. It's gotta hard on the band when they get booked to super

nice venues like Monterey and then see the BS screw everything up.

Daisy Mae, that has got to be the most right on write down about the SF scene and the scene in general. It definetly

seems that there are no "easy answers". And sadly ... probably no going back to the Shakedowns of yore...
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Bilbo.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#110067 2 years, 3 months ago
For the record, I haven't seen any little kids actually doing nitrous, but they were playing with balloons, at the Mann Center. I don't think they were actually in line for the nitrous tank. Still, we as a community should discourage buying nitrous off these guys who obviously aren't there for the music. I did run into an old head running a tank very discretely at Wilkes-Barres, and he was keeping the area clean, being discrete, accepting balloons for refills, and was actually there for the show. But for the guys in the Philly crew who travel up and down the east coast to blast off large numbers of tanks, and get violent with people, leave huge messes, etc, please boycott those fools.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo, scar1et_f1re
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#110073 2 years, 3 months ago
Bilbo wrote:

Daisy Mae, that has got to be the most right on write down about the SF scene and the scene in general. It definetly

seems that there are no "easy answers". And sadly ... probably no going back to the Shakedowns of yore...

Thank you. No, there is never any going back. There's only going forward. Everything is relative. Not everything relative is always apparent. We can all take good hope in going forward with a fresh perspective everytime knowing that forces may be at play in any given situation that we personally may know nothing about. So many have it so much worse elsewhere, we all are very lucky and have a lot to be thankful for.
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Daisy Mae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo, GratefulDad420, ChefArugula
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#110097 2 years, 3 months ago
Daisy Mae well said. I tried to say something like that but I'm not a writer. It's sf and that's how it is. Thanks for laying it down.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#110101 2 years, 3 months ago
Even going to the jgb shows in the 90's were the same today as they were back then at the warfield. It's the tenderloin.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#110109 2 years, 3 months ago
Chester wrote:
I really enjoyed the Albany shakedown. In the past with the Grateful Dead, and including the most recent show, with Furthur.
They were allowed to set up ahead of time, in one spot, and it was very organized, and lots of fun. The hap hazzard ones,
scattered all over a venues vicinity, just breeds problems. And although I have been known to try a little nitrous in the past,
I see that situation as getting completely out of hand, and one of the main examples of what's bad in the shakedown scene.
The nitrous dealers interrupt the flow of the scene, and seem to cause nothing but trouble. There was always an element
like that, but it's just gotten way out of control. I'm not sure I can see an easy solution. I guess we just have to make the best
of what we have now. And try and keep the scene clean.

It's nice when it's in an out of the way area (like at Albany). Plus I think the cold rain (and almost snow) thinned out any "enforcers" at Albany. You know it's a good shakedown when you can easily buy your 4:20 baked goods from real heads without a worry in the world. (too bad they all had was peanut butter at Albany, the sugar cookies I bought in Bethel were mmmmmm so kind)
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#110118 2 years, 3 months ago
I think it was at Albany that I bought some blueberry ganja icing! That stuff was killer! Never even made it onto any baked goods, cause we couldn't stop finger dipping it!
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#110154 2 years, 3 months ago
GratefulDad420 wrote:
For the record, I haven't seen any little kids actually doing nitrous, but they were playing with balloons, at the Mann Center. I don't think they were actually in line for the nitrous tank. Still, we as a community should discourage buying nitrous off these guys who obviously aren't there for the music. I did run into an old head running a tank very discretely at Wilkes-Barres, and he was keeping the area clean, being discrete, accepting balloons for refills, and was actually there for the show. But for the guys in the Philly crew who travel up and down the east coast to blast off large numbers of tanks, and get violent with people, leave huge messes, etc, please boycott those fools.

Gratefuldad420, really appreciate your scientific knowledge. Actually, I've had some insanely good trips with using nitrous

as an "accelerator" of sorts. Don't really know how it works, but the visuals are amped up like another 75%!

On one strange occassion, a buddy

and I were huffin' on some balloonies at I think it was a Louisville KY shakedown or some strange place when I had to sit down before i fell down...just kinda laid there for a bit, but the weird

thing was that i could all of the sudden hear someone's converstion clear as bell like they were right next to me....when i

opened my eyes and looked toward them, they were at least twenty feet away. Must have shut down a filter temporarily.

Agreed: small group of friends with a personal tank in a hotel room....works....no muss, no fuss. Thanks.

REALLY REALLY REALLY MAN!.....dime bag for whoever knows where that line came from. lol!
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Bilbo.
Time to create page: 1.09 seconds