• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

Bring back Shakedown...occupy?

#109248 2 years, 9 months ago
Heynow, IKO. Don't know about everyone else, but Stacy and i really kinda miss the old Shakedowns.....

They were unpretensious (sp?), mostly kind and good places to hook-up with whatever, from like jewelry to veggie

burritos to good beer to seeing familiar faces and friends.

PLUS, we knew that we helping other Heads to get to the next show by

shaking down some cash. Some of those Shakedowns were truly amazing places.

The SF lot (if you could call it that) was a bit sketch to say the least.

Just wondering if there is a way to bring that vibe back and "clean-

up" the lot? A separate scene? Dunno?

Wildflower seed in the sand and the stone, may the Four Winds blow you safely home... Roll.....
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Bilbo.
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

Re: Bring back Shakedown proper...

#109252 2 years, 9 months ago
Will, if you think SF was bad then Montery was downright sleazy. I agree shakedown has deteriorated as of late. I'm ashamed of the condition that we leave them in. Shakedown is a reflection of us and it is up to us to fix it. I don't really have any ideas other than to ensure I don't worsen the scene and voice my opinion when I see someone else soil the scene. Any other thought would be welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
mok
Junior Boarder

#109257 2 years, 9 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
Will, if you think SF was bad then Montery was downright sleazy. I agree shakedown has deteriorated as of late. I'm ashamed of the condition that we leave them in. Shakedown is a reflection of us and it is up to us to fix it. I don't really have any ideas other than to ensure I don't worsen the scene and voice my opinion when I see someone else soil the scene. Any other thought would be welcome.

Particularly the second night where they forced everyone onto the street in Monterey. I think the last 20-30 years has given birth to a whole sleazy youth scene that dominates shakedown street. I really don't see a simple fix. You go to any pier area in a Southern CA city (can speak for San Diego, at least, maybe everywhere) and you see this crowd, same was true every summer when I lived in Boulder (at least 5-10 years ago). More motivated by drugs than music and all about making a buck off the tourist class of show goers and tourists. I think the only way to remove that scene is to enforce a ticket only policy.

I also remember a much better scene in the late 80's, but wonder if that was just because the shows were so big that music lovers outnumbered the non-show going pure drug scene and if we are just seeing a shift in balance given the smaller venues, etc. ? It definitely seems a little more sinister and a lot less love/music oriented.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muddy Das, Bilbo
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#109280 2 years, 9 months ago
I'm afraid the great Shakedown has passed. The ones that were overloaded with creativity. Cool art and inventions. Wild people having fun. Lots of them. Lots of us, all together. It was fucking great. As much fun as the shows.

Lately it seemed as if it was kind of a set vending crowd, a homeless crowd, and concert goers. We weren't a big family like before.

Its really a shame. Those Shakedowns were unbelievable. We would have those stadium parking lots rocking, all the way around the place. The artwork, the music, drum circles...
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Bilbo, SunshineSue, amusingdeva, Gr8fullBear, ChefArugula
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#109281 2 years, 9 months ago
I know it ain't the same as the 90's at shoreline but til this day at shoreline it's pretty magical and fun. Great food and vending. Broomsfield shakedown is pretty nice too. Nothing like Oakland though in 94.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#109282 2 years, 9 months ago
cannot testify to anything pre-2002 as i was not involved. i can however state that although it's not my thing anymore, there have been some great shakedowns since my inception to the scene. it really is a rarity but i'm sure several factors play into it.

and to be honest and look at this thing fully, we have to first admit that shakedown street can't function how it used to and that starts with security and police. face it, a lot more shit would fly back in the 80's. today, vendors aren't even allowed to set up their grills or hot plates at some venues! they are being arrested and artwork/t-shirts confiscated constantly. sure vending permits exist but to say that everybody back then had permits etc is crazy, because i don't have to be there to know that they didn't. a great friend of mine, someone who jumped on the bus at nassau 73 talks about it quite a bit. he did it his whole life thru 95. he talks of a scene you all r emember quite well, and he agrees with just about everything everybody is saying here. he agrees that the freedom out there will never be matched mainly because of the way things like that are regulated now by venues and police.

BUT, and that's a huge BUT...that doesn't mean it can't "clean up" or "improve"

our very own member here PAIGE MOONDANCER said it best...

"BE THE SCENE YOU WANT TO SEE"
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo, Wundurland, ChefArugula
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

Re: Bring back Shakedown...occupy?

#109284 2 years, 9 months ago
If ive heard correctly, Monterey was a particularly sleazy shakedown, just bad vibes from what ive heard. But IDK, i'm a young guy so I don't really know about the old school GD shakedowns, but it seems like your always going to have a certain level of sleazyness at shakedowns nowadays. I thought Albany had a pretty good vibe, there was of course the nitrous guys and all that, but overall there was lot of good, honest people selling some pretty cool stuff.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#109285 2 years, 9 months ago
Nice quote! Wlewis. I agree with what you and your friend say. I still have a great time at every show and lot. Fuck the police!
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#109286 2 years, 9 months ago
One of the greatest shakedowns was RFK...
GOOD LOVE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo, lightchaser
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#109287 2 years, 9 months ago
(((((Lot 8 RFK)))))
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds