• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

Gans to speak re/ Deadheads, GD Music

#109187 2 years, 8 months ago
David Gans will be speaking about Deadheads, GD Music. Many topics will be explored, including Deadheads and social media.

The following link is provided for those interested in learning more on this and related topics.

conference2012.swtxpca.org/schedule/topi...topic_area_value=860
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by PMoondancer .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue, GratefulDad420, bluetrainsugaree
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Gans to speak re/ Deadheads, GD Music

#109198 2 years, 8 months ago
Interesting. 2015 will be the 50th anniversary of the Dead's first shows and people are still trying to figure out where it all fits in a larger cultural context. Somewhere Jerry is smiling.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#109227 2 years, 8 months ago
that schedule say Gans will be moderating. I wonder who will be on the panel.

I hope that conference is streamed. But I couldn't find anything to indicate that.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#109234 2 years, 8 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
that schedule say Gans will be moderating. I wonder who will be on the panel.

I hope that conference is streamed. But I couldn't find anything to indicate that.

Hey, that's a wonderful idea!

My phones are currently shut off....so maybe someone can give him a call and ask.
If not, I can email him next time I hit a wifi spot:)
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder

#109238 2 years, 8 months ago
I will take care of emailing the organizers, and let you know if I hear back from them.

In the meantime....check this website out.....Keeping an eye on John Perry Barlow turned me on to this one.

www.ted.com/

edit: I didn't e-mail webmaster, but sent one to director and the organization's general email address.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , GratefulDad420
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#109240 2 years, 8 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
I will take care of emailing the organizers and Webmaster, and let you know if I hear back from them.

In the meantime....check this website out.....Keeping an eye on John Perry Barlow turned me on to this one.

www.ted.com/

Sweet!
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#109321 2 years, 8 months ago
I'd be very interested to hear some of this. It's a shame Kesey and Bear aren't around anymore. They could really intellectualize this sort of thing.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#109725 2 years, 8 months ago
I went to one of those... it was great. It's very academic. I did a presentation on spinning and the grateful dead experience. I'm not an academic.... I promised to go back but I think a lot of the tenured professors looked down on me. It was a little weird. But for the most part the peopel were very kind and, you know, just how you'd want a tenured professor who's a deadhead to be. So their presentations are really interesting. One woman I remember did research on the number of academic papers that incldued something about the Grateful Dead (I think she counted 10,000 references). We got to see the movie Festival express many motnhs before it came out- which was way cool.

I heartily suggest you go. The hotel across the street is way cheaper. Check out Nicholas Merriweather. He's I think part of the santa cruz UC grateful dead archives thing. He'll probably be going.

They would love presenters.... whatever it is. The conference is a sub-section of a yearly cultural academic conference, so there's other stuff going on from a cultural point of view.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , scar1et_f1re
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder

#109760 2 years, 8 months ago
I traded emails with Nicholas Meriwether today. He was excited by the possibility of streaming and said he would check into it. I suggested Ustream.com.

However, with such a limited time to pull it off he thought it was more likely something that would be done next year.

Both he and Lynnea Chapman King, the ex. dir. of the SWTX PCA/ACA, couldn't have been more quick and encouraging in their responses.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#109807 2 years, 8 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
I traded emails with Nicholas Meriwether today. He was excited by the possibility of streaming and said he would check into it. I suggested Ustream.com.

However, with such a limited time to pull it off he thought it was more likely something that would be done next year.

Both he and Lynnea Chapman King, the ex. dir. of the SWTX PCA/ACA, couldn't have been more quick and encouraging in their responses.

I am so glad to hear that they are so kind and receptive!
Great work TS:))))))))))))))

lostsailor, I loved hearing that you got to share your experience in such a setting and for encouraging others to participate:)

I would really enjoy a stream... sending out good love to all

Paige
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds