• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

Re: So, What was the scam?

#109156 2 years, 9 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
Tmglf2 wrote:
I asked one of those guys on nye and he said he made 2 grand the night before. I told him I did not think it was fair of him to make money while it's the band doing the work. He said its all fair on the streets so I waited for his next customer who was going to pay $150 and gave her a miracle ticket.

That's just brilliant, Tim! Well done!!

that was really cool of you...good karma
Bili
Junior Boarder
Burn Baby Burn

#109157 2 years, 9 months ago
shit i always thought scalpers asked for extras and then once they figured that you're law enforcement the devils would negotiate a price for admission......
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#109495 2 years, 9 months ago
I support the idea of a forum table that could handle last min ticket exchanges.

I also found this while scanning some of their policies. We should report anyone who dosen't follow the rules.

Unlawful Re-Sale of Tickets; Commercial Purposes
Unlawful resale (or attempted resale), counterfeit or copy of tickets is grounds for seizure and cancellation without compensation. In addition, Live Nation reserves the right to restrict or deny ticket purchasing privileges to anyone that Live Nation determines to be, or has been, in violation of this policy. Because Live Nation does not guarantee the authenticity of tickets purchased from any non-authorized third party reseller (such as brokers or individuals), Live Nation recommends that you purchase tickets directly through Live Nation, authorized partners or from the venue box office to ensure ticket authenticity. Tickets may not be used for advertising, promotions, contests or sweepstakes, unless formal written authorization is given by the Event Provider, provided that even if such consent is obtained, any use of Live Nation's trademarks and other intellectual property is subject to Live Nation's consent.

Certain maximum resale premiums and restrictions may apply such as: PA - $5 or 25% of the ticket price, whichever is greater, plus lawful taxes; MA - $2; NJ - $3 or 20% of the ticket price (or 50% of acquisition price if registered broker or season ticket holder), whichever is greater, plus lawful taxes. In NY: if the venue to which this ticket grants admission seats 6000 or fewer persons, this ticket may not be resold for more than 20% above the price printed on the face of this ticket, whereas if the venue to which this ticket grants admission seats more than 6000 persons, this ticket may not be resold for more than 45% above the price printed on the face of this ticket; this ticket may not be resold within one thousand five hundred feet from the physical structure of this place of entertainment under penalty of law if capacity exceeds 5,000.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, GratefulDad420
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#109499 2 years, 9 months ago
NY has some pretty ridiculous guidelines there. it justifies some of the bigger venue scalp prices like MSG..45% markup. but this could also regulate the smaller <6,000 venues like beacon at 20% isn't terrible. not as bad at 45%
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#109512 2 years, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
NY has some pretty ridiculous guidelines there. it justifies some of the bigger venue scalp prices like MSG..45% markup. but this could also regulate the smaller <6,000 venues like beacon at 20% isn't terrible. not as bad at 45%

These guys don't play by the rules. You ain't getting a $75 Beacon ticket for less than $90 from a scalper, not in NY, not for a good band anyway. No matter what the rules. There is zero enforcement, and by having listed prices it probably gives the scum a license to peddle their stiff. Cause they tell the cop on the beat they ain't charging more than face.

This is huge money and it's super tough to fight big business. I am in for a ticket exchange but I agree credibility is a must. Sad to say, but I trust buying a ticket off a scalpers website more than buying a ticket from a strange deadhead on the lot. Especially with these emailed tickets, I HATE buying them off strangers, you can print the same ticket off your pc multiple times and sell it over and over.

I think we do a decent job connecting fans with tickets on the fan connect section of this site. I know this forum will always have first dibs on my extras.

It reminds me of the 4:20 industry. No reason possession needs to be a crime punishable by jailtime, forfeiture of your vehicle, etc. Oh, wait, companies like Budweiser and Smirnoff are bitterly opposed to people smoking weed. It's dangerous folks. So it's illegal. Only good thing is I'm certain the big tobacco companies are all ready to begin rolling out their funny cigarette division as soon as the authorities give the thumbs up. Greed is good, eh??
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#109673 2 years, 9 months ago
well if nobody bought tickets from scalpers they wouldn't come around.... i remember back in 90 we saw some scalpers selling tickets and the show wasn't even sold out so every time we saw someone go up to one we just mentioned that tickets can still be bought at the box office they didn't like that at all one guy threatened to call the cops over we just laughed at him.....i think if you just make a sign and set up a table on shakedown for ticket exchange people would go for it
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#109687 2 years, 9 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
wlewis wrote:

These guys don't play by the rules. You ain't getting a $75 Beacon ticket for less than $90 from a scalper, not in NY, not for a good band anyway. No matter what the rules. There is zero enforcement, and by having listed prices it probably gives the scum a license to peddle their stiff. Cause they tell the cop on the beat they ain't charging more than face.

This is huge money and it's super tough to fight big business. I am in for a ticket exchange but I agree credibility is a must. Sad to say, but I trust buying a ticket off a scalpers website more than buying a ticket from a strange deadhead on the lot. Especially with these emailed tickets, I HATE buying them off strangers, you can print the same ticket off your pc multiple times and sell it over and over.

I think we do a decent job connecting fans with tickets on the fan connect section of this site. I know this forum will always have first dibs on my extras.

well of course they aren't playing by the rules. i am not sure any of the boys in blue know what the official rules are for the scalping scene..simple. scalper asking for more than guidelines allow, tell the nearest cop. "hey, he's selling his extra ticket(s) for more than the allowed 20% markup for these beacon tickets." they're so fucking hard up for money down there, i wouldn't be surprised if they went to town. if something did arise there as far as the legal aspect goes, i doubt that guy will be selling many scalped furthur seats in the future. the more you make it clear you don't want them around and don't give them business of any kind, the sooner they'll, pardon my language, get the fuck out.

maybe you shouldn't buy print out tickets from people online? i've grabbed countless tickets from furthur forum and philzone and i have never in my life been ripped off. i've never even been offered the print outs. it's not difficult to find hard tix. always speak with someone on the phone, or better yet, like many of my encounters, meet up with the person for the tix at the show, show before, or whatever if possible, obviously it's not always possible. i've never gotten bad feelings about grabbing tickets from fellow heads. personally, i'm more worried about the people who aren't buying them because they like the band.. by going to the third party scalper site and purchasing tickets, the fire is being fueled.

you're 100% right the fan connect section has helped out a zillion people with tickets. i am one of them. if we could, as tim suggested, assist in bringing that to reality day of shows at a table outside of the venue, it'd be great.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#109697 2 years, 9 months ago
I've gotten numerous tickets on lot and a few online, and never been ripped off. I usually opt for the hard tickets, since I collect my stubs, but I have gotten several print-out tickets and still never been ripped off. Normally I buy them from fellow heads with extras, since I know so many people on tour, but once in awhile I have to get them off one of the guys buying and selling them. However, I still have never paid much more than face and the fees, even from them, so I am not sure how they actually make money.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#109710 2 years, 9 months ago
mok wrote:
volare wrote:
katie mae wrote:

Have you never seen a scalper before?

I just had never noticed them *buying* tickets before....only selling. but then again, I am pretty oblivious most of the time. I was just hyper-aware of my surroundings while standing in that line.

Yup, they buy way under face value, generally. If someone tries to get more than they are willing to sell for they will show them their big stack of tickets and claim the market is saturated. Basically they prey on people desperate to unload tickets and willing to get any cash for them on one side and people desperate to get tickets on the other. Its not a pretty scene, and like I said I am 95% sure they are all working for the one or two major scalping operations that run the internet trade and they do this for a living.

edit: And I think there is kickback scam for unsold tickets with ticketmaster for preferred buyrs (scalpers), but I may be wrong (can't find a link for this). I could have sworn I have heard this before, though.

I think they just leave close to the venue and learned by their elders how to survive. That's all. Just the next time you are wanting to go int othe show, but have an extra- selling to a non-head means a head might end up paying scalper prices.... so just deal with the heads.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds