• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
volare
Senior Boarder

Re: So, What was the scam?

#108932 2 years, 8 months ago
katie mae wrote:

Have you never seen a scalper before?

I just had never noticed them *buying* tickets before....only selling. but then again, I am pretty oblivious most of the time. I was just hyper-aware of my surroundings while standing in that line.
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
mok
Junior Boarder

#108937 2 years, 8 months ago
volare wrote:
katie mae wrote:

Have you never seen a scalper before?

I just had never noticed them *buying* tickets before....only selling. but then again, I am pretty oblivious most of the time. I was just hyper-aware of my surroundings while standing in that line.

Yup, they buy way under face value, generally. If someone tries to get more than they are willing to sell for they will show them their big stack of tickets and claim the market is saturated. Basically they prey on people desperate to unload tickets and willing to get any cash for them on one side and people desperate to get tickets on the other. Its not a pretty scene, and like I said I am 95% sure they are all working for the one or two major scalping operations that run the internet trade and they do this for a living.

edit: And I think there is kickback scam for unsold tickets with ticketmaster for preferred buyrs (scalpers), but I may be wrong (can't find a link for this). I could have sworn I have heard this before, though.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by mok.
volare
Senior Boarder

#108945 2 years, 8 months ago
yeah, Laissez-faire at it's ugliest.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#108962 2 years, 8 months ago
I thought it was weird too. I had extras for all the nights and was really surprised so many people were looking to buy on Thursday. It seems like too much work to buy them for 50 and then sell for 60 or 70. Doesn't seem worth it.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: volare
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#108968 2 years, 8 months ago
ok , just to clear this up, it is a small part of large scam. they have bunk tickets for sale, i got one first night, they also fuk with idiot out of towners(like myself) and say dumb shit like your goin meet the3 baND with this ticket blah blah blah, so its 300 instead of face, but see the deal on the street anywhere is, if you can sell somebody something that isnt worth shit, you do that. i take comfort in the fact that the guy who ripped me off probably has a dime a day coke habit, and children he willl never meet.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#108971 2 years, 8 months ago
volare wrote:
yeah, Laissez-faire at it's ugliest.

To me, I think it's odd that the band management doesn't crack down on blatant scalping since it's obvious who the scalpers are and what they're doing. It would be pretty easy to have management positioned near the line, around the corners, and across the street looking for scalpers. It's pretty obvious who is a scalper and who is a head looking to unload a few extra tickets.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#109007 2 years, 8 months ago
I am against the credit card companies and debit card deal, because I don't like the idea of being tracked for every purchase, but this makes it hard to get tickets the second they go on sale. I buy them with cash, all the time, but sometimes have to find someone with a credit or debit card to try for the ones that may be sold out. Unfortunately, sometimes this means I have to pay extra. It sucks, but you do what you have to.
volare
Senior Boarder

#109016 2 years, 8 months ago
katie mae wrote:
To me, I think it's odd that the band management doesn't crack down on blatant scalping...

unfortunately, I don't think that Furthur's management or even the venue security, for that matter, have any jurisdiction in a public park across the street.

what they could do to mitigate the problem is to set up a small table or booth, where you could drop off your extras, with a minimum price for which you would be willing to sell them, and those without tickets could then purchase them at the booth.

They could charge a 5% commission on the sale, which, wouldn't make them much money, but I imagine would be enough to cover the pay of the people manning the booth.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#109017 2 years, 8 months ago
^^^interesting thought volare
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#109019 2 years, 8 months ago
wlewis wrote:
^^^interesting thought volare

Very interesting. Why not. Great idea volare
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds