• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
volare
Senior Boarder

So, What was the scam?

#108904 2 years, 9 months ago
both nights last weekend as we stood in line there were several guys, clearly not there for the show, walking around, waving handfuls of cash, offering to buy extra tickets....

It is hard for me to imagine that they simply expected to buy low and then sell high later, so does anyone know what their angle was?
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: So, What was the scam?

#108907 2 years, 9 months ago
To make a buck, just like every event I go to. Giants games, raider games, everywhere they do that.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
volare
Senior Boarder

#108911 2 years, 9 months ago
so you think they were simply trying to buy at $50 from John and then sell for $70 to Steve, for example. I just figured it would be hard to move enough honestly to make it worth their while to stand out there. Plus, if they get stuck with one or two tickets they don't sell, their profit margin goes to shit.

But, perhaps you are right and I am too suspicious.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#108912 2 years, 9 months ago
Maybe they are giving the tickets they buy to their friends so they can go in and purchase all the posters up before any of us get the chance!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#108913 2 years, 9 months ago
I asked one of those guys on nye and he said he made 2 grand the night before. I told him I did not think it was fair of him to make money while it's the band doing the work. He said its all fair on the streets so I waited for his next customer who was going to pay $150 and gave her a miracle ticket.
volare
Senior Boarder

#108917 2 years, 9 months ago
lol....i didn't consider that it might be part of a long con...
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#108919 2 years, 9 months ago
volare wrote:
lol....i didn't consider that it might be part of a long con...

I see this all the time. I've bought tickets on the street for face, or less, and if I'd have looked for the right person could have made money on them. However I've never done that, make money on tickets, because I got the proper orientation from being on the bus. One should be able to get what they paid for originally, nothing more, or give them as miracles. That's just my two cents. However many would disagree (i.e. scalpers)

Right now I have no tickets for the Beacon, and if it means missing them all because I won't pay more than face, then that's my fault.
mok
Junior Boarder

#108921 2 years, 9 months ago
I don't know how this all works, but my understanding is that the guys on the street are basically freelance employees of the big scalping companies. I guess the question is whether these big companies have some kind of kickback deals with Ticketmaster for unsold tickets that they can use to hedge their bets when buying these. I always see a ton of people both buying and selling at big shows/games and assume there is some deeper scam going on. The whole ticketmaster/scalper scene is so gross and the money is so big (something like 4.5 billion in second sale tickets) that nothing would surprise me.

edit: A related scam I learned about recently is when the scalpers have tickets for sale online right before the general public sale. I guess a lot of the time they don't actually own the tickets, they are just floating the sale to see how many people are interested and what they are willing to pay in order to set their prices and determine how many to buy. I know there was a lot of anger on these boards around the initial NYE tickets and the spring shows and the scalper sites. I wonder how many of those tickets actually exist. This whole business should be shut down.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by mok.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#108924 2 years, 9 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
I asked one of those guys on nye and he said he made 2 grand the night before. I told him I did not think it was fair of him to make money while it's the band doing the work. He said its all fair on the streets so I waited for his next customer who was going to pay $150 and gave her a miracle ticket.

That's just brilliant, Tim! Well done!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbeach12078
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#108931 2 years, 9 months ago
volare wrote:
both nights last weekend as we stood in line there were several guys, clearly not there for the show, walking around, waving handfuls of cash, offering to buy extra tickets....

It is hard for me to imagine that they simply expected to buy low and then sell high later, so does anyone know what their angle was?

Have you never seen a scalper before? I thought everyone had, aren't they at pretty much every concert, sporting event, etc.? Sadly, it's not just them acting independently though, the guy standing next to us in line said he saw one of the band's front of house guys feeding one of the scalpers tickets (I didn't see it but I did see the scalpers congregating on and off near the Will Call window, which is a little weird, unless they're waiting for someone inside to come outside) so it's possibly a partial inside arrangement, and partially scamming tickets from heads on line who don't want to get stuck with the hassle of selling their extras. I'm torn as to whether they are horrible people or not. I mean, if you really really wanna go to a show, get your shit together and buy a ticket when they come out. If you're gonna roll up to a show and expect a freebie, that's just some weird entitlement trip, IMO. And if you have the means to buy a ticket the day/night of, well, expect to pay extra for your unpreparedness and if you're lucky enough to pay face (I usually never charge above face the few times I've had extras), you got a good deal. The few times I've had to sell extra tickets, I don't sell the scalpers because I dont wanna feed that scene, but if others need to make their money back or make a wee bit extra to cover show costs, I don't begrudge them that either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mortimer
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds