• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

Transportation, On the road vehicles

#108673 2 years, 6 months ago
Howdy, i was just curious how everyone on here gets to each show. I figure alot of people flew in San Fran. But im curious to what vehicles you use and find well suited for the road. OVer summer il will be looking for wheels to travel within the bordering few states.and am looking for a vehicle that i could possibly sleep in too save money. I hope that made sense little disorientated but looking for feedback on a good vehicle from your own personal experience. Cheers everyone have a splendid night- Dan
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Re: Transportation, On the road vehicles

#108675 2 years, 6 months ago
Buy a cargo van. Put a bed in it. Buy a cooler. Put up some shades that keep everything covered. Very versatile. Bring your bike, drum. surf board, whatever. Don't drink and drive.

I lived in one while working. Of course I had the job for 15 years, I've been all over the country.

Drive 6 or 7 hrs and pull over to take a nap. save on the rooms.

Its how I used to get to shows. Which was great, I had everything with me.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DangerousDan
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#108684 2 years, 6 months ago
I usually fly to shows these days due to working and not enough vacation time.

If you are looking for a cheap and somewhat economical vehicle to sleep in, look for a mini-van. You can be a deadhead and look like a soccer mom! Seriously, you can get used ones for cheap and take the seats out and you are set. We recently got a 1996 Town & Country mini-van so we could sleep in it and haul stuff around -- $1700 and it has all the bells & whistles and, so far, runs great!

Fond memories of the time spent touring in my VW bus though.... I had so many stickers that I would come out of shows and people had added to my collection!
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by amusingdeva.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#108687 2 years, 6 months ago
My experience was too long ago to be helpful but still quite amusing. Back in 1987 my friend and I bought a 1971 VW Bus in California and went on tour. My friend had these two live pot plants that werent budding that he did not want to leave behind. So he convinced me to take them along. We but the plants in the back corners of the bus and then put palm plants next to them. We got pulled over twice while on tour but never got busted. We traveled from California all the way to New York with the plants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , DangerousDan, SunshineSue, amusingdeva
Gr8fullBear
Junior Boarder

#108691 2 years, 6 months ago
Ditto the van idea. They are great and can be made to be very comfortable. Likely goes w/out saying that the old air cooled vw's are high maintenance and can be cop magnets in many states. I have seen both old vw "square backs" and volvo station wagons be converted to little campers by having the pop-top portions of vw buses added to them. Good luck.
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#108693 2 years, 6 months ago
Cool thanks everyone, I have been thinking about a afordable van but thats not always a option so the van is a great backup idea. I ought to look into. For everyone, is it a good or bad idea to load the vehicle with stickers. Well a respectable amount nonthing too crazy but it would be dead/phish/cheese and other stickers. I always hear its a bad idea yet so many people do it lolz
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#108787 2 years, 6 months ago
DangerDan - kind of depends on where you drive as for the stickers but look at it this way... if you were a cop and you had a choice between pulling over a Volvo wagon with those little family stickers or a van with Grateful Dead stickers, which would you choose?

I did not get pulled over on the west coast in my sticker-covered VW bus but I did in the mid-west, quite a few times.No charges or tickets or anything. Maybe they just had hippie curiosity?

A mini-truck with a shell is also a good sleeping and traveling option. Hope you find the ideal vehicle!
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#108816 2 years, 6 months ago
DangerousDan wrote:
Cool thanks everyone, I have been thinking about a afordable van but thats not always a option so the van is a great backup idea. I ought to look into. For everyone, is it a good or bad idea to load the vehicle with stickers. Well a respectable amount nonthing too crazy but it would be dead/phish/cheese and other stickers. I always hear its a bad idea yet so many people do it lolz

Ok. Dan, maybe you've never seen my bus, but it screams Deadhead. Been pulled over "back in the day" more times than I care to remember

My thought on the sticker thing is this: if you put one on, you might as well put an asssssss ton on, and keep a super clean interior.

If you are compelled to carry party favs with you, don't put a single sticker on.

Hope that helps:)
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by PMoondancer .
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#108842 2 years, 6 months ago
I went through the same dillema a couple months back when lookin for a brand new used car. Was gonna go with a large cho mo van but the gas was a no go for me. I ended up looking into Toyota 4Runners and Nissan Pathfinders, ended up getting the latter. Ok gas and enough room in the back to crash out in. As for stickers, I got a small one of Jerry on my side window (decided against puttin it right on the back). I wanted to put a Stealie but living in Orange County, I didn't wanna push it, nothing like gettin pulled over for the sheer reason of being a Dead Head
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#108847 2 years, 6 months ago
I never was one to put any stickers on my van. I didn't carry any party favors back then either.

You just make yourself a target.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , DangerousDan
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds