• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
kamloops rainbow
Junior Boarder

Re: "Wolf".....John K???

#11114 3 years ago
Not but hurt in the least bit, very little bothers me on an internet board. People including myself are more apt to be different than in real life in this fantasy world were people think furthur could even share the stage with the Grateful Dead.

Sure but I only have my six pac, Captain, lets go fishing sometime......I am in Nor Cal, salmon season is in full swing......
i did not watch you video, I AM PRETTY SURE IT WAS NOT nice.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by kamloops rainbow.
Lynx
Visitor

#11119 3 years ago
Thanks man. I really meant no harm and anyone who makes their living taking people out on the ocean is alright with me. I'm in New England so it may be a while until I get out there. Jealous though... beautiful country out there.

Oh and (as good naturally as possible) let me explain why I said that JK will be part of the GD legacy. He is in a band with some of the original members. It has gone on 2 years now and may go on a few years longer. Now (and I apologize for this JK) I would rather see a guitarist up there with an original style taking a new approach to the music than trying to re-create a sound from 20 or 30 yeas ago (just my opinion). I would rather see Ratdog up there trying to do something original and sometimes failing than seeing a cover band trying to imitate a sound-gone-by and succeeding. But look around next time you are at a show. People LOVE this band and I have a GREAT time with friends and family whenever I go to a Furthur show.... that's why I will continue to go (just bought tickets to a few shows today!). So while I am luke-warm on Furthur myself I find it hard to ignore the fact that JK is part of the story. I never said he was a fixture or cornerstone of the GD legacy... but a part of it yes. And if I was in his shoes I would be doing exactly what he is. I hope that as time goes by he lets his Jerry-act wane and lets his own talent come through. I believe I have seen/heard hints of this on this last tour. If this trend goes "furthur" we may have something really fun on our hands.

And dude, the video WAS nice! I said I'd be FREDO for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!

So you went fishing on Furthur board. How'd it turn out for ya? Seems you caught a (as we would say in New England) a "Keepah!".
Last Edit: 3 years ago by .
kamloops rainbow
Junior Boarder

#11120 3 years ago
Bla Bla Bla John will not be part of the GRATEFUL DEAD legacy, Just a side note mentioning one of many guitar players that played with Phil and Bob AFTER JERRY died.......Further will not go down in history or be inducted into the Hall of Fame......just another band
Lynx
Visitor

#11124 3 years ago
OK. You may be right. I tried to be nice. Take care man. I respect you for caring so much and being so passionate about the music. It's late here on the east coast and I'm gonna go out on the porch to listen to the peepers and wood frogs for a few minutes before crawling into bed... got a long day on the water tomorrow. You know how that is though. here's a pic I took last fall (this one was a bit too close for comfort!).....

PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years ago by .
yatkoj
Junior Boarder

#11125 3 years ago
who the hell is this john k every1 talkin about??? this isnt tommy two-tone site??
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#11127 3 years ago
kamloops rainbow wrote:
Bla Bla Bla John will not be part of the GRATEFUL DEAD legacy, Just a side note mentioning one of many guitar players that played with Phil and Bob AFTER JERRY died.......Further will not go down in history or be inducted into the Hall of Fame......just another band

Who cares what ripples this band causes in mainstream media.... history is told by the people. Yes Jerry died but we are trying to take it Furthur. Not living in the past but being here now.
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#11137 3 years ago
The band is charting it's own course, as will the heads. The music will inspire people always.

My guess is people are already noticing when you're banging sold out nights and crowds approaching 18k.

Furthur has a shot to be one of the year's bigger grossing acts for 2011, and think they will be happy to stay out of the headlines.

Friends they come around...

JK playing Wolf just doesn't fit. Maybe in a Jerry tribute show where everyone took a turn sharing a rip off Garcia's rig, which I think would be cool. But JK's got his own thing going on, and finally stepping up in the mix. Sure his style has Jerry influence, so would any head that played music, no less GD tunes, but he has his own subtle take. They should let him sing an original. What the heck?
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Cornjulio.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
canam
Fresh Boarder

#11140 3 years ago
Bad news for some......already happened

DSC_1611.jpg

DSO: 10/05/2006 Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Set 1: Sugar Magnolia> Uncle John> Dancin> Dark Star> Gimme Some Lovin> Heart of Me> Music> Sunshine Daydream> Liberty
Set 2: Strange, Minglewood, Scarlet> Fire, Terrapin*> Drums> Space> Sugaree**> Cassidy> China Cat**> I Know You Rider
Encore: Mighty Quinn***, Around
Filler: None

Notes: John played "Wolf" - Special guest keyboardist Dan Klepinger - Special guest soundman Dan Healy - Second set with special guest Bob Weir (Eaton sat out) - *Bob Weir on vocals - **Bob and John alternate vocals - ***with Rob Eaton and Bob Weir
Last Edit: 3 years ago by canam. Reason: adding date
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#11145 3 years ago
canam wrote:
Bad news for some......already happened

DSC_1611.jpg

DSO: 10/05/2006 Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Set 1: Sugar Magnolia> Uncle John> Dancin> Dark Star> Gimme Some Lovin> Heart of Me> Music> Sunshine Daydream> Liberty
Set 2: Strange, Minglewood, Scarlet> Fire, Terrapin*> Drums> Space> Sugaree**> Cassidy> China Cat**> I Know You Rider
Encore: Mighty Quinn***, Around
Filler: None

Notes: John played "Wolf" - Special guest keyboardist Dan Klepinger - Special guest soundman Dan Healy - Second set with special guest Bob Weir (Eaton sat out) - *Bob Weir on vocals - **Bob and John alternate vocals - ***with Rob Eaton and Bob Weir

Thanks for the picture...
Lazylightnin
Fresh Boarder

#11158 3 years ago
Let JK play it again with Furthur.... Would love to see it!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: CinnamonGirl53, Abba
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#11257 3 years ago
This might sound dumb but what kind of guitars does John K play? I see he used a different guitar on the last tour. I should prob know this but I dont. :/
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#11299 3 years ago
GreatestStoryEverTold wrote:
This might sound dumb but what kind of guitars does John K play? I see he used a different guitar on the last tour. I should prob know this but I dont. :/

To my knowledge, I've seen a couple...he owns one that looks like Wolf..color wise but the neck is diff...

Let John K play Wolf with Furthur...not trying to get John to mimic Jerry but honor him... Yes John plays his own style but he definately channels Jerry
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds