• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

Re: How Does Phil&Frnds compare to FURTHUR

#108374 2 years, 7 months ago
With Phil and Friends the goal seemed to be to have Grateful Dead songs with talanted musicians interpreting the music in thier own styles and voices. Warren, Steve Kimmock, Jimmi Herring, Derek Trucks, Robben Ford, Paul Barrere, Trey, Larry Cambell Jackie Greene, and others that I have left out. With Furthur, in addition to having Bob there, the tone and sound of John K. more closely resemble the GD. A majority of people 'seem' to want to hear music that sounds like the GD, as opposed to a different take on the original songs. There is no right or wrong here, whatever works best for the listener is what it is. I think that musicians like to give people what they want to hear, so Furthur will continue. To see Phil play with other talented musicians who bring a different approach to the mix, may be a bit more challanging but can also open up the tunes and jams in interesting directions. Terrapin Crossing looks like an opportunity for Phil to play with different folks. Furthur will probably remain in tact, just do less touring. That Phil and Bob are still playing remains a treat for old timers as well as people who are first discovering the music. Phil and Bob are capible of playing both with Furthur and in other settings. It's all good and nobodies done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDad420
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#108403 2 years, 7 months ago
I totally disagree with illuminaughty! I have never seen a bad Phil show, however, some night Bobby's pace was just too slow for me. I couldn't get into some of the slower jazzier type stuff from Bobby, on occasion. Phil, though, always has some really tight jammin' and it gets me dancin' my buns off.

If you want to check out a jammin Phil show, try this www.archive.org/details/plf2008-11-16.95867.sbeok.km184s.flac16 . Definitely check out the second set of this show, at least, as the Cumberland alone will blow your head off with the sheer energy!

John Scofield is a killer guitarist! I really enjoyed him in the past with P&F, and I think everyone will be surprised, if they haven't ever seen him. I like Warren with his bands, but I never really thought his style fit the GD sound. Not that I didn't enjoy many Dead shows, but I definitely thought there were better fits. I really enjoyed the Phil line up with, Jackie Greene, Larry Campbell, Steve Molitz, and John Molo. I can't remember if Scofield and Greene played together at the same time with P&F, I'd have to double check, but like I said, I haven't really ever been disappointed at a Phil show, and really enjoyed both of these guys. I remember back in 06 when it was Scofield, and Campbell, with Joan Osborne on vocals, and they had some amazing shows.

I wouldn't miss these shows if there is any possible way you can make it. A must see, I'd predict!
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by GratefulDad420.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#108793 2 years, 7 months ago
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Hopefully I will make it, sounds like it's going to be great, everyones comments pumped me up to go.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#108889 2 years, 7 months ago
deadontherivet--how could i forget that sunday show? 2nd set was one after the other, an aggressive set to say the least.

em-don't worry, you will catch that high

amusingdeva--sco is a jazz guitarist and composer. he uses jazz b lues funk soul you name it. played with miles davis, charles mingus, amongst many many others. check out the archive for phil lesh and friends check december 3rd and 4th 2005. he sat in those 2 shows, really great. there are others, but those stick out in this cat's mind.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#108894 2 years, 7 months ago
I just canceled mine but if anyone has Netflix instant streaming had a great Phil and friends show with scofield among others from the Warfield. Check it out if you're unfamiliar with either Phil and friends, scofield or any other musicians, or just want a hot show to watch!
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds
kfender
Gold Boarder

#108896 2 years, 7 months ago
no video but a great quality recording of one of the best Althea's I ever heard.Check it outwww.archive.org/details/plf2005-12-03.ak...9.31933.sbeok.flac16!Scofield kills the ending!This recording by my buddy Dan is sweet.You can hear the crowd go nuts during Scofield's solo at the end of the Althea
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#108910 2 years, 7 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
I just canceled mine but if anyone has Netflix instant streaming had a great Phil and friends show with scofield among others from the Warfield. Check it out if you're unfamiliar with either Phil and friends, scofield or any other musicians, or just want a hot show to watch!

Great show. New speedway boogie was hot
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#108959 2 years, 7 months ago
My only wish is that Steve Molitz was playing with Phil. He brings a subtle techno edge which ends up being pretty psychedelic..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#109025 2 years, 7 months ago
out of all the post jerry bands phil and friends were the most dead like and most artistic in what they achieved
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#109164 2 years, 7 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
I was at this show, and there is a shot of this heavy set hippie in a tie dye right near the beginning, first song. That was my roommate at the time, and I was right next to him, but they missed me, unfortunately. Definitely was a great show, though. I was right up front, and it felt like Joan was singing right to me! I own the DVD, too.
Time to create page: 1.10 seconds