• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Missing Jerry, HELP!!!! LOL

#108195 2 years, 6 months ago
Lately, the more and more I see Furthur and listen to them, I miss Jerry more. Does anyone else have this situation? This thread is not a comparison, I am just stating fact. I enjoy furthur tremendously, yet I always find myself listening to the Dead. I guess when something was such a transforming power in ones life, there is no replacing it completely.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Re: Missing Jerry, HELP!!!! LOL

#108202 2 years, 6 months ago
No, I hear Jerry so much, it doesn't make me sad, it makes me happy that is music is still around for new generations. The songs sometimes take on new meanings, depending on the situation going on outside in the real world.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#108203 2 years, 6 months ago
The funniest thing I heard, and my humor level is pretty low, but I guy walked by us one time and said, "You think Jerry would like this band?" "No, they suck." And everyone laughed caused the sarcasm was pretty apparent at the time.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#108220 2 years, 6 months ago
newyawker wrote:
Lately, the more and more I see Furthur and listen to them, I miss Jerry more. Does anyone else have this situation? This thread is not a comparison, I am just stating fact. I enjoy furthur tremendously, yet I always find myself listening to the Dead. I guess when something was such a transforming power in ones life, there is no replacing it completely.

I think that's very true. As much as I love every second of Furthur, and am very grateful to have them around, I have to admit that I listen to GD much more than I listen to Furthur. Old habits are hard to break!
The following user(s) said Thank You: katie mae
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#108236 2 years, 6 months ago
I have to say that i have stopped comparing. To me it has become one grate big musical smorgesborg from which to feast upon that everyone has contributed their special seasoning to. And its all good. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#108237 2 years, 6 months ago
I like Furthur to be different than the GD, otherwise I will miss Jerry. JK sounds more natural at playing in Furthur than Warren Haynes sounded in The Dead for example. Warren sounded like he was doing a good job at imitating, which only made my ears miss the real thing.

I like that Furthur has its own take on the material. If they were a GD cover band then there's good cover bands out there that I can see without much effort.

I like a new take on the old material , like the Casey Jones with the sped up ending. I saw that live the 1st time I ever heard it and it was awesome. Had I listened to it on tape many times it wouldn't have had that effect.

What I miss about Jerry is the emotion in his voice and feeling he put into his phrasing. Nobody does a Jerry ballad like Jerry did.
These are the good old days!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by BillyDeLion.
Chester
More or less in line

#108240 2 years, 6 months ago
I agree with all of you. I really do miss Jerry too. And he can never be replaced. But he will be with me,
and inspiring many others for many years to come. And I love Furthur, because they are currently the
keepers of the flame. And will continue to inspire me for the rest of my life.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#108248 2 years, 6 months ago
I love Furthur and everything they're doing but I def listen to GD more then anything, then again there is so much more GD then Furthur or anything else. Jerry will live on forever with all the music that was captured over the years. We're very lucky to be able to hear several crisp SBDs from every year 66' on, right here online
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#108253 2 years, 6 months ago
I've been in a state of denial for 16 years.

The GD is home. Furthur is a hotel room. A very nice hotel room with a wet bar that doesn't cost too much, that I love to visit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, katie mae
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#108261 2 years, 6 months ago
Furthur has definitely made me miss Jerry more. They have brought back a time in my life that I thought was Dead, and I could not be more Grateful.
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds