• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
volare
Senior Boarder

Have you ever turned someone on....

#108039 2 years, 6 months ago
to the Dead?

I was telling my trainer, at the gym, about going to SF for the concert and it was clear he had never heard anything from the Grateful Dead, much less, heard of Furthur.

I was thinking of burning him a CD to listen to, but worried it might come across as creepy, like I was making him a mixed tape or something.
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Re: Have you ever turned someone on....

#108042 2 years, 6 months ago

I would just point him/her to Google the live music archive

Just curious, is this a same sex trainer? That would affect how I answer.
volare
Senior Boarder

#108058 2 years, 6 months ago
yes, same sex trainer. which might make it even more uncomfortable if he gets the wrong idea...
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#108107 2 years, 6 months ago
Same sex means a mix tape is a BAD idea. If this trick worked for me to get some attention from a girl or 2, giving a tape to 'turn someone on' (no pun intented I am sure) could go sideways in a big hurry.

Que the to the archive but better yet:

1) Get him to go to a show and maybe pay for the ticket OR
2) Find an insane passage from your favorite 70-72, pristine quality show (LIVE DEAD would work too), get in the proper frame of mind (if applicable), and then turn it up

There are no guarantees since GD music is much like black licorice....you know the rest.

Good Luck!
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#108194 2 years, 6 months ago
like you wouldn't believe. all the time. trunks of tapes, boxes of cd's, hard drives full with audio/video footage are constantly being distributed amongst my friends and people i meet. hey if the music can do half of what it did for me to someone, it' s a win in my book. i still get text messages every now and then "i love furthur, thanks for turning me onto the dead dude", or i'll see someone at a show and we'll chat about it. it's how it works though, most people get turned on from someone else who's into it.

teafortexas---that black licorice comment is hilarious, 100% true.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Xonk
Junior Boarder

#108239 2 years, 6 months ago
I was just working painting a house today and I put on my ipod. The guy I have been working with is from California, actually from San Rafael, 40 something and he has never been into the dead. So, a few hours filled with Grateful Dead, Furthur, Ratdog, etc. and he says to me "man, I think you turning me into a dead head!" The funniest part to me was that when he said it the song he was really into was Phish!
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#108243 2 years, 6 months ago
Of the several people I've tried to turn onto the dead.... they never would go, or if they did go, never went again. I stopped trying.

I prefer the mystical approach: "you won't understand unless" you understand x, y, and z. It's like explaining how sex feels to a 16 year old virgin. Even when they get some, they don't understand what they've had. It's not my job to turn them on...
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#108246 2 years, 6 months ago
In the past two years I have taken ten of my friends to their first Furthur show. All were very grateful and eight have gone on to see more shows.
mcolleen
Junior Boarder
You are the song that the morning brings

#108252 2 years, 6 months ago
Island Head wrote:
In the past two years I have taken ten of my friends to their first Furthur show. All were very grateful and eight have gone on to see more shows.

Happy New Year Island Head!! Will you guys be making any of the Beacon shows?
"The breeze would pause to listen in"
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#108256 2 years, 6 months ago
I brought 2 friends to see Furthur and they both had a great time, I've tried to get many others to go.... one friend from the military I think may get into a little and go to more shows when he gets out - it was night 1 at MSG he was tripping so hard and afterwards said he's never seen anything like it. He isn't into the Dead and pretty much only knows Casey Jones and I think he's convinced that the only reason he liked it so much is cause he was tripping so hard so I gotta bring him to another one and not get as messed up and show him it's still a real good time. the other friend liked it and I keep trying to get him out to shows but money/time is an issue and I wouldn't say either of them 'got on the bus' - yet
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds