• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: The dragon was made of cardboard

#108548 2 years, 8 months ago
A little bit of humidity will kill that dragon pretty quick. I think it might get a few uses and be burnt. Sad, but if they wanted something more durable for future use- it would not have been made of cardboard. I'd think it would suck up moisture like a sponge and look like crap pretty quick.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#108559 2 years, 8 months ago
There is a little info with video on the NYE celebration on front of Furthur's page....

The Journey of the Dragon

We think that everyone would agree that this year’s New Year midnight moment was our best one yet. To produce this 8 minute spectacular took a lot of planning and efforts from many people over several months.

This year’s midnight moment was envisioned and designed by Kathy Sunderland from Furthur’s management team and was inspired by A Song of Ice & Fire ~ a five book fantasy series by George R. R. Martin the first novel of which has been depicted in the recent HBO series The Games of Thrones.

The characters from our NYE spectacular included:

Daenerys Targaryen - who was portrayed by Emily Sunderland who has been our Midnight Moment star for our past three New Year’s Eve spectaculars.

Ser Jorah Moremont – Daenerys' faithful knight companion was played by J.C. Juanis who is the voice of the NYE countdowns for Furthur and Phil Lesh & Friends’ annual midnight moments.

Father Time – Played by Bill Walton – not a character of the Game but a fixture of New Years Past.

Plus many damsels from our faithful friends and family core who somehow make each New Year celebration memorable.

The 31 foot dragon was made from recycled cardboard boxes and built by Mike Murname, Joshua Short, and Joel Stockdill at the Cardboard Institute of Technology on Treasure Island.

Marty Cohen of Stage Rigging was instrumental in insuring that we could take our dragon to the highest realm of the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium.

Please enjoy this wonderful video created by our friend Jay Blakesberg. I think that all will agree that this year’s production was truly phenomenal and certainly one for the ages.

In the next several weeks we will detail the entire process, from the initial creation from idea, to paper sketch, through the whole construction ~ to what you saw on New Year’s Eve. This took the efforts of many of visionary artists and technicians.

We invite you to follow us on The Journey of the Dragon.

www.furthur.net/nye-photos-12-31-2011.html
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by FurthurFlower67.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue, amusingdeva, GratefulDad420
Grateful_Hiker
Junior Boarder
Singing and dancing down the trail...

#108560 2 years, 8 months ago
I used to work in a carboard box plant..... if only I knew then that I could save up a bunch of plain old square boxes and turn them into a DRAGON.
Chester
More or less in line

#108565 2 years, 8 months ago
Very cool. Nice story. Still an amazing moment to watch.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#108585 2 years, 8 months ago
nice video on the home page, they even showed all of Sugar Mag...

didn't look like that girl was wearing any kind of harness on the dragon, that was really cool though I wish I was there
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#108607 2 years, 8 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
nice video on the home page, they even showed all of Sugar Mag...

didn't look like that girl was wearing any kind of harness on the dragon, that was really cool though I wish I was there

Actually she was wearing a harness. But you know those things are made not to be able to see them...
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds