• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4908
I love what I love and I want it that way

Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107767 2 years, 9 months ago
I think this year I saw the most of these. When did cats become animals you bring everywhere on a leash? Cute animals though. All the cats seemed very well comfortable. I was on the floor one night all the way back against the wall and it was lined up with strollers and babies. Very strange. I know the topic has been thrown around but this year there was more I saw than usual. I would kill my wife if I saw her anywhere close to that floor with are baby. Then after nye at two in the morning the babies were all outside chilling.I don't hate on those people, I just don't understand.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
PartPat
Senior Boarder
Posts:359

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107769 2 years, 9 months ago
23atwell wrote:
I think this year I saw the most of these. When did cats become animals you bring everywhere on a leash? Cute animals though. All the cats seemed very well comfortable. I was on the floor one night all the way back against the wall and it was lined up with strollers and babies. Very strange. I know the topic has been thrown around but this year there was more I saw than usual. I would kill my wife if I saw her anywhere close to that floor with are baby. Then after nye at two in the morning the babies were all outside chilling.I don't hate on those people, I just don't understand.


Yeah I agree, it is odd. I did see some baby's at the Monterey show in situations with people that made me do a double take and feel a bit uncomftorable. To each his own I suppose as long as everyone is safe,healthy and happy. Not for me and my baby though.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1428
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107778 2 years, 9 months ago
I would bring my 12 year old, even my 8 year old, but certainly not my one year old. On the other hand, festivals give more of chance to hang out between stages or the camp, kids tent or whatever. I def would not bring a small child to an indoor venue. Once going to the show becomes more important than caring for your babe, I can't agree with it. Not to be judgmental, but little kids need space to roam safely, don't need the second hand smoke, and need a quiet rest at night. Drop em off with grams or get your priorities straight.

Shit, I sound like I'm lecturing now. I didn't have kids until I was thirty and after Jerry passed, so maybe I had easier choices to make.

How young is too young?
PartPat
Senior Boarder
Posts:359

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107783 2 years, 9 months ago
Bakes wrote:
I would bring my 12 year old, even my 8 year old, but certainly not my one year old. On the other hand, festivals give more of chance to hang out between stages or the camp, kids tent or whatever. I def would not bring a small child to an indoor venue. Once going to the show becomes more important than caring for your babe, I can't agree with it. Not to be judgmental, but little kids need space to roam safely, don't need the second hand smoke, and need a quiet rest at night. Drop em off with grams or get your priorities straight.

Shit, I sound like I'm lecturing now. I didn't have kids until I was thirty and after Jerry passed, so maybe I had easier choices to make.

How young is too young?


Damn good question.....At the age where it is something they find some joy in it, know how to be safe, know what to do in strange situations.... Think your age range sounded pretty good.

I saw what looked like a crack head sitting on the ground on the second night in Monterey trying to feed what looked like a screaming pre-mature baby....My friend and I both saw it really threw me for a loop
volare
Senior Boarder
Posts:501

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107787 2 years, 9 months ago
i was amazed as well at some of the really little kids there. and bakes, you hit it on the head. it seemed like an inappropriate setting for children. i wonder though, did they have to buy tickets for the kids?
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
Posts:7650
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107790 2 years, 9 months ago
My daughter has been to quite a few shows all outdoors. Her first was Widespread when she was 2, from experience that was way too young. And now at age 7 we've really cut back on taking her even to outdoor shows just because she is more in tune with what is going on around her and if she does go I do try to stay far far away from shakedown street as that is the place of total debachery. As was mentioned, if she comes with us, we always take off early (which is another reason we have cut back taking her). You can't keep them up all night, that right there is pretty uncool. I still can't decide if it was a good or bad idea taking her to concerts but in the end she was always safe, and generally had a great time, not always, but mostly. Especially at festivals that are kid-friendly. I know when I see the old GD movies like Sunshine Daydream and you see all those kids at the show I think wow that is how old I would have been, if my parents were deadheads I could have been at a show with Pigpen, how cool would that have been?? I imagine one day when she is grown up she'll look back and think it was pretty damn cool to have been at a concert in person for bands like Furthur and Widespread, or she'll think her parents were dorks for taking her I don't know...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
PartPat
Senior Boarder
Posts:359

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107802 2 years, 9 months ago
volare wrote:
i was amazed as well at some of the really little kids there. and bakes, you hit it on the head. it seemed like an inappropriate setting for children. i wonder though, did they have to buy tickets for the kids?

Last time I was at a furthur show and a friend had his 5 year old( indoor show) and they made him get a ticket for her
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1432
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107821 2 years, 9 months ago
Kids live in filth and violence all over the world. A dead show ain't that bad...on the other hand their parents may be so its totally subjective. The more you expose a dog or child to when they are young the better they will be when they are older as long as its healthy, peaceful or friendly. My parents promised me for three years they would bring me to a grateful dead concert then Jerry died....now I've been making up for since '95. I think that's a number of people's feelings about Furthur. Only so long til their gone and who wouldn't want to share that with their next generation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iriecycle
Bugaboo1
Junior Boarder
Posts:23

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107832 2 years, 9 months ago
I can tell everything I need to know about a person by how they treat animals and kids. I only go to shows that are kid friendly if possible. The best kid friendly venue I know of is the gorge. My son was 2 when he saw the dead/allmans there. Calavares was also kid friendly with wide open camping. we had a campsite so far from everyone we couldnt see any other camps. Red rocks was a little too rowdy on fri, sat the sunday matinee was perfect. Phil came over and introduced himself to my 3 year old at Calavares commenting how much he appreciated seeing kids in the scene. I loved seeing the half empty venues on recent tours, hopefully this means less rowdiness in the future and more kid friendly vibes. My 3 year kid skis, rock climbs(outside on real stone not plastic) , and sees furthur shows all part of this grand adventure called life. In fact a perfect vaction for our family involves all 3 activities. Make room for the kids they are our future
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Bugaboo1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iriecycle
volare
Senior Boarder
Posts:501

Re: Cats, Dogs, Babies, Kids

#107858 2 years, 9 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
Kids live in filth and violence all over the world.


Yes, but most of the time, it is because the parents have no ability to get them away from it, due to poverty, political repression, etc.
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds