• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Re: What is wrong with some folks at shows?

#108109 2 years, 9 months ago
I've just learned to zone people out, I don't know, everyone's different. Unless the person is falling on me or spilling beer on me then yes, you've invaded my space. I can tolerate the talking, the goofing around. I like the noise and everything around me, (the harmonica shit and drumsticks are way too much) but it just adds to the experience for me. If the music is good, it will suck me in and I will forgot all the shit around me, let's just say that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, GratefulDad420, 23atwell
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#108110 2 years, 9 months ago
jodiah wrote:
Bakes wrote:
jodiah wrote:
mok wrote:
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff to be annoyed at, it made my head hurt.

Wow, that really is a lot of stuff to be annoyed at! It's cool outside in the lot, but I can see why people would be annoyed with it during the show. But, you have to admit it's not as annoying as half of the shit that went down inside the huge stadium shows during the 90s.

The only thing that really annoys me are the drunk assholes who yell during the "Donor Rap". It's like interrupting a prayer or meditation...it seems wrong.

I thought it was the local yahoos yelling during donor rap..I never yell drunk, just smile.

That's cool Bakes, I just smile too. But, there is a reason that the Dead didn't want alcohol to be served at shows during the 90s and in a lot of venues they had the power to work with them on not selling booze. Liquor makes some people assholes.

In any case, I seem to find myself somewhere in the middle of this whole debate. Perhaps it's generational, not sure. But, I have been asked to sit down for dancing because it blocked some guy's view (oddly enough during "Welcome to the Dance > Around n Round"). But, come on, there has to be some freedom. There seems to be a grey area on what is socially acceptable and what is not in our 'community'. I'm personally all for any freedom of expression as long as it's not infringing on the well-being, happiness, respect or dignity of others. That being said, we all pretty much know what to expect at a show.

We were at Farm Aid in Milwaukee a few years ago, and my wife was all pumped to see Kenny Chesney (yes, she's a country fan, I forgive her), but anyway, all through the show, she sat down and enjoyed herself and when he came out, she stood up and started dancing. Immediately, an older lady behind us, could you sit down ma'am, I can't see. Oh shit, I knew what was coming, but my wife was polite. Uh no, I have waitied all day for him and I plan to dance. I'm sorry, but you'll have to be mad through this set. The woman was all right with it. I was ready to tackle them both, but didn't get a chance to.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#108114 2 years, 9 months ago
captaintony wrote:
I've just learned to zone people out, I don't know, everyone's different. Unless the person is falling on me or spilling beer on me then yes, you've invaded my space. I can tolerate the talking, the goofing around. I like the noise and everything around me, (the harmonica shit and drumsticks are way too much) but it just adds to the experience for me. If the music is good, it will suck me in and I will forgot all the shit around me, let's just say that.

That's how I feel about this stuff too. The worse offense of all is people stumbling into you, stepping on you, falling into you, I can deal with all the other shit. Ok and drum sticks and harmonicas are ridiculous too. Talking is annoying but I can zone that out unless they are talking MY ear off! But as for the phones - of all the distracting things that is about number 1,000 on my list. I dragged my wife into this scene 11 years ago when we met. It took a lot of work but I finally converted her, that being said she still doesn't quite get the need for 3 straight shows or playing for 4 hours. She gets into the music but she too is a very distracted person. So if checking her email or texting the sitter or her friends here and there keeps her happy and enjoying herself at the shows I am not about to ask her to stop. I love my wife being with me and some phone use by her is not going to make me stop going or not taking her plain and simple. You have to be a little tolerant just to survive this crazy world.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#108121 2 years, 9 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
captaintony wrote:

That's how I feel about this stuff too. The worse offense of all is people stumbling into you, stepping on you, falling into you, I can deal with all the other shit. Ok and drum sticks and harmonicas are ridiculous too. Talking is annoying but I can zone that out unless they are talking MY ear off! But as for the phones - of all the distracting things that is about number 1,000 on my list. I dragged my wife into this scene 11 years ago when we met. It took a lot of work but I finally converted her, that being said she still doesn't quite get the need for 3 straight shows or playing for 4 hours. She gets into the music but she too is a very distracted person. So if checking her email or texting the sitter or her friends here and there keeps her happy and enjoying herself at the shows I am not about to ask her to stop. I love my wife being with me and some phone use by her is not going to make me stop going or not taking her plain and simple. You have to be a little tolerant just to survive this crazy world.

Exactly. To quote Buffett, if we weren't all crazy, we could go insane. I am amazed on how many people talk on their phones, it doesn't bother me one bit, but I do wonder why and how they think can carry on a conversation with the amps turned up?
You know of course, shows are like a big freaking fish bowl, we got so many different people from walks of life, not everyone knows how to act cause this is probably how they act outside in the real world. We're going to have selfishness, and if alcohol is involved, we're going to have double selfishness.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#108140 2 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, I don't go online with my phone, or even have a smart phone, for that matter, but I do use my phone to keep the setlist, because I would probably lose my pen, or piss off someone trying to find a flat surface to write on, in the dark. I like to keep the setlist as it happens, so after the show, when someone asks me what song was after this one, or asks anything about the setlist, I can whip out my phone and give it to them. It takes me all of 10-15 second to type in the name of the song. I also like to keep track of the ones that they transition (>) into.

Plus, you'd be surprised at how many people want to know the name of the new song that was played after something they knew, or what order they played this or that, right after the show, when I can't go check a setlist online. And if someone doesn't keep track of that setlist and post it to the internet right away, then it could end up taking days before you can double check things and compare. After all, these guys are the most recorded musicians, with numerous detailed archives on the experiences that SO many of us are always wanting very specific info about. Look at the number of posts on this site alone of people asking this or that question, about when this was played, or how many times it was played this year, or the last time a certain song was played, the length of the song, or even what was the costume someone had on, or the special effect, etc, etc. If it weren't for some of these people taking notes, who you are probably getting annoyed at, you just wouldn't be able to get those questions answered.

Also, I am not the kind of person to go find a seat and sit in one spot for an entire show, so sometimes I lose friends when they, or I, go to get a drink or run to the bathroom, and sometimes I shoot a text to a friend to find where they are or where they went. I don't understand how some people let so many other people ruin their time at a show. Rarely have I ever gotten pissed at someone, unless they keep running into me or pushing me. The instruments and loud talking, I can understand someone getting annoyed at. It does make me wonder when I see someone texting throughout the whole show, or chatting on the phone, why they are there. But then again, what do I care if they are missing what I want to pay attention to? Most of the time I am dancing in one spot with my eyes closed, or sometimes I just like to turn around and dance and look at the crowd.

I understand getting annoyed if someone is distracting you, but I really think people should try and be more tolerant of everyone, and rethink why they think everyone should be doing what they feel is "the way" to enjoy a show. I have done Dead related shows for over 17 years (often whole tours, but at least a few shows from every one), and rock concerts and festivals for probably 20 or more. There are shows and festivals where I enjoy dancing through the crowd, or some where I need to sit and focus on the specific special effects of the show, such as Pink Floyd. I think one of the best things about GD related shows is that someone can come in, dance around to the music for 3-4 hours, without ever looking at the stage, and still have a wonderful time.

I have often noticed that my dancing will get nearly everyone around me dancing. You know, sometimes, you walk up to get as close as you can comfortably without intruding on people who were there first, and there is a guy or girl just standing there watching, but not even really bobbing their head. Well, I get to dancing right there by them, and before you know it they're finally starting to just let loose dancing and really enjoying themselves. That is one of the best things to witness. After all, it's the energy of the crowd that really helps these guys get into it as much as we do, I think, and that is when you have the most magical nights of all. So I say, try and enjoy your time, and worry much less about what other people are doing, with exception of being loud and ruining the sound. I only do the clap (on beat) to songs where it's usually acceptable (NFA, for example).

BTW, when I dance near the tapers section, I often do the finger over the lips thing and point to the mics (with a smile and a wink) to let talkers know they should probably be quiet so we get nice clear recordings, so I DO care about distractions, but don't let someone looking at a phone or texting bug you, it's not like at a Furthur show they are juggling light sabers while walking a tight rope, they are standing there, playing and singing with a few cool moving lights. If you care so much to see every expression on their faces or whatever, I'd suggest getting there real early to get right up close, otherwise I don't see how a little screen is going to take away all that much from the show.

I guess being that a lot of the crowd is a much older crowd, it's easier for the old fogeys to get cranky! LOL I mean I ain't a spring chicken, and often have my kids telling me how I am old and not as cool, but I try to at least be tolerant of youth and new technologies. I think Owsley would've probably suggested eating more acid, if these younger folks start annoying you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, captaintony, killwhyT, DED4LIF
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds