• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

Re: What is wrong with some folks at shows?

#107603 2 years, 8 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
will work for doses wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
The harmonica is an annoying instrument anyways! It has its place in some songs but in general? Noooo...

So I guess y'all will have a problem with me blowing a harmonica, while I spin a hool-a-hoop in an l.e.d. lit grain sack, that changes colours, while I play bongos and have two tambourines taped to my knees, banging them together while Furthur is jammin' Born Cross Eyed into Bird Song. If so.....well screw you guys, I'm goin' home. Geeees, I thought this crowd was tolerant of freakin' freely.

The hula hooping is cool. And spinning is highly encouraged. But please, save the Bongos and tambourines for the drum circle

No hula hooping in the tapers section. I propose a hula hooping section.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#107605 2 years, 8 months ago
With Furthur the sound is pretty loud and I have always been lucky enough to be able to get lost in my own little world if the outside distractions get too "loud". And it's usually pretty easy to move away from the noise - especially if there is an open spot on the floor. Bur when there are no distractions it's much easier for me to grove in sync with other deadheads, and for me, that's always where the magical shows begin. When the audience starts grooving as one - like a giant dragon growing in size and strength.

I've heard the noise and singing from the audience is a larger distraction when Bobby plays solo. I read at one of his recent solo shows he politely and perhaps subtly asked the audience to quiet down.

I personally do not like to ask people to alter what they are doing on my account. Like the earlier poster said, I don't want to ruin their experience. Nor do I want to get into a confrontation especially during a show <<No bad Kharma>>. But I have to admit, the worse thing I've ever heard is some off key singing, which is cool. I also actually enjoy the sound of a gal with a bell or two on her shoes dancing to the beat of the music. But I've never seen a belt of 500 bells either, that sounds like a bit too much to handle. And a harmonica or tambourines....those are also over the top IMO.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#107607 2 years, 8 months ago
Idiocy knows no bounds. I had mentioned in a previous thread how well Furthur played at the Ottawa Bluesfest and I often lilsten to that show on my ipod but there is this stunad who whistles between each song and in quiter moments. Totally annoying! Fucking harmonica? That is too much.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#107617 2 years, 8 months ago
killwhyT wrote:
Idiocy knows no bounds. I had mentioned in a previous thread how well Furthur played at the Ottawa Bluesfest and I often lilsten to that show on my ipod but there is this stunad who whistles between each song and in quiter moments. Totally annoying! Fucking harmonica? That is too much.

You may want to give the official soundboards a try. I think you're talking about the all good show from July 2010? (Marvin's Mountaintop). If you are, here's a link to the official soundboard-- it should be without the whistles

www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-07-0...ficial.113029.flac16

You can access all official soundboards here (they are "opened up" for listening 4 months (?) after the show). Lowww.archive.org/search.php?query=subject...ort=-date&page=3
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by scar1et_f1re. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: killwhyT
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#107621 2 years, 8 months ago
Charlie Sheen wrote:
there needs to be some confrontation when it comes to jerks like this, if you let them continue, they win.
the buck stops here when they start infringing on my experience, I am slowly becoming more violent as the years go by.
I never thought I'd evil eye somebody at a dead related show but that's what's it's come to, they will not fuck up my space at shows, if they do, they're told to tune in or get out.

Words said nicely can be much more effective than the evil eye... Some people really have NO idea that what they are doing affects anyone else. And yea, I have asked people to stop talking and they have purposely gotten louder instead and that type of thing.

This is also why I prefer GA and the floor o - you can move away from the energy you dislike and into the one you do!
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#107632 2 years, 8 months ago
I like the GA shows for that reason also, but I just don't get why people would pay good money and stand there and talk, for example at NYE first night I almost said something as it was obvious these two guys were not there for the music, Eyes was just startin to lift off, but I just left and found a great section to groove in. That was much harder to find at the Greek in L.A. Whaddya gonna do.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#107634 2 years, 8 months ago
Oops that would of been second night : )
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#107639 2 years, 8 months ago
jodiah wrote:
mok wrote:
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff to be annoyed at, it made my head hurt.

Wow, that really is a lot of stuff to be annoyed at! It's cool outside in the lot, but I can see why people would be annoyed with it during the show. But, you have to admit it's not as annoying as half of the shit that went down inside the huge stadium shows during the 90s.

The only thing that really annoys me are the drunk assholes who yell during the "Donor Rap". It's like interrupting a prayer or meditation...it seems wrong.

I thought it was the local yahoos yelling during donor rap..I never yell drunk, just smile.
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#107641 2 years, 8 months ago
I can only speak for myself here, however like many I suppose one aspect of this bus trip has been the interesting history that it entails. Recently I've been rediscovering some books on the Dead (i.e. McNally's, Scully's) and I always enjoy reading about the acid tests, which is where this all evolves from. I'm always taken aback when I read accounts of these and realize that the Grateful Dead's involvement was just one aspect of the festivities. So I suppose at an acid test people did whatever they wanted, in addition to the Dead playing, and whatever the Merry Pranksters were doing.

Today, of course, what we all partake in is the traditional 'rock concert' where all attention is focused on the band playing on a stage. Now some of what I've read here kind of surprises me, like a drum circle in the midst of a show, someone blowing a harmonica, and so on. In other words distractions to some, entertainment to others. I guess some of these folks who are the distractors perhaps think it's in the spirit of the acid tests to participate other than just watching the band and/or dancing. It's for these people I suggest maybe a section be cordoned off and call it the "play pen" where you can go play your drums, blow your harmonica, do your hula hoop, etc. and not have to infringe upon anyone else. It might even provide some amusement, as another facet of this experience.

Until the bands management and/or promoter starts putting out notices such as No this, or no that to be brought into the venue I guess it remains a free for all.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#107693 2 years, 8 months ago
I agree with those who've said, addressing these situations while they're happening during a show is the way to go. I wanted to clarify that the tambourine lady I saw at the end of the NYE show so I didn't have to endure her noise - if I had, I'm sure I and others would have tried to nicely persuade her to put the thing away. Drummer sticks dude was right behind me and he was playing on his thighs, though I could tell he wanted to play on the back of my seat. As long as I didn't look at him, I couldn't hear him, but if he'd started on my seat I would have kindly asked him to not do that and explained why. And I did give a look to him and his sticks and I think he understood that beating on the chair wasn't acceptable and I appreciate that at least he got that much right! Bell girl I fucked up with. She showed up NYE wearing no bells, and I was so thrilled I thought that was a done deal. What I didn't realize was that she had her gigantic bell belt in a bag and put it on after she was situated. What I should have done was give her a hug when I saw her bell-less, and told her that I was happy to see her without bells because they are really super loud. That could have been a nicer/kinder way to let her know she's way too loud, without doing so in the heat of the moment. But as I said, I assumed - incorrectly - that she was forgoing the bells that night and I said nothing when I had the opportunity. As luck would have it, she was much farther away from us that night so we didn't hear her when she was in her seat, which wasn't much. But the night before it was way too much! If I'd been near a harmonica, I'd have tried to talk to the person nicely as well.

I also totally agree with those who've said that nothing is gained when confronting folks in a really aggressive and negative manner, particularly when they're likely high anyway. For example, last year at Eugene, this young dude rolled up behind us on the lawn and proceeded to talk loudly and non stop for like a half hour about how much the music means to him. I kept looking at him but he didn't get it. A lot of folks just are not aware of anything but themselves. It's just how our society is right now, sadly. So finally he leaned forward and said to me, "is my cigarette bugging you?" and I said, "actually yes, but more than that, all I can hear is you talking over the music...", and I smiled at him because I didn't want to piss him off either, you never know how a person will react to anything at a show. I was as nice as I could be about it given it bugged me a lot, and he was really embarrassed and shut up right away. But still, it was the same on NYE, a guy behind me kept explaining every single song to his lady and I wondered how he could enjoy and experience the music when he's always talking...OTOH, a friend of ours who we've never been to a show with came the second night and just sat there experiencing it all. We never spoke the entire night, other than during intermission. I appreciated that he was open to experiencing it all and not talking through it.

People who text or check their phones all the time are for me, the same as talkers. I don't get it. Why go to a show if you're going to check your facebook page every 2 minutes? I feel sorry for folks who cannot turn off a phone for the duration of a show and just let the experience 'be'....yanno? For me, it's like a holiday to go to a show and switch off from the outer world.

Lastly, yeah, this Jason dude is a jerk. I know because I was one of many in the ADA line who complained about him and his posse (my husband has had to use that line last year). And you know what? Those who had legit issues but don't need a wheel chair had to stand for hours this year to get seats that were more comfortable for them. My husband has some issues that make it nearly impossible for him to sit in most seating areas because he cannot stand/sit every two minutes for folks coming and going. And I can't enjoy a show if I think/know he's uncomfortable. If he's in a seating area where he's comfy and can relax, then I can enjoy the show without worrying about him. Unfortunately, this one group of people have some entitlement issue where they think as locals, they can shove all their friends into the line no matter if it's ADA and the regular line this year. In fact, one of their posse came barreling through the line late in the day, hip checking the guy behind us into the metal railings hard. This guy was just standing there minding his own business and this big doofy ox of a man shoves him into a metal fence for no reason. The nice guy said, "hey! that's not cool, man!" And the doofus turns to him really aggro and says, "NO YOU aren't cool, just move out of my way!" I mean honestly, how is that behavior in the spirit of a show? It's not. Nobody confronted him because there are too many of this crew in line to deal with. It's a drag. I mean, I had great shows, but dealing with this stuff isn't a fun way to start off an evening, y'know? Unfortunately there's no way to monitor these people unless the band/promoters post guards/watchers in the lines to monitor everyone and I doubt they're gonna do that so it is what it is right now.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by katie mae.
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds