• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

Re: Couple of observations from last night...

#106844 2 years, 9 months ago
How was the Morning Dew to start the 2nd set?
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
The following user(s) said Thank You: bow4bass
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#106847 2 years, 9 months ago
Are you people really talking about a person who wore a shirt to a show that said the words phish? wow.
The setlist comment was pretty funny. Why someone wearing a phish shirt would bother u is wierd. Did you know that Trey , Mike, and Page have all played with Phil? Did you know that Phish showed the upmost respect on the anniversary for Jerry's passing by playing Terrapin Station in VA...I was in the lot at that show(without a ticket stubinmyhand)..(LOL)...theres a very strong connection. But mostly, phish is a great band that is about love and kindness. If theres a bad lot scene, then that sucks....and its pissed me off. The original phish heads are as kind as any Brent kid any day! They are still around. Just cause they are outnumbered by drunks and wanna be wooks and nitrous "mafia"...lol, (hauling items for the mob)..lol
doesnt mean the band sucks. Almost every "further" show I've been to ive come across nitrous tanks .
Have you ever heard of the Mockingbird foundation? Phish donated alot of thier proceeds to charities.

Oh, and did i mention they are a fucking amazing bunch of musicians. Do i like the dead better, yes.
Am i bothered by seeing a phish T shirt at a "further" show....no more than id be offended by seeing someone wearing a Allman bros. or Marshall Tucker Band shirt ! "Cant you see cant you see, what this phish fan is doin to me." LLOOLL
WHO the fuck cares ?!!?
Was the guy writing the setlist down writing onlined paper or xerox paper? Was it recycled 50% or 100%. Let me know if you remember and this for me will be the deal breaker .
Oh by the way, i saw a guy once at a Phillies game wearing an Atlanta Braves jersey....how dare he.?
lets make this new year filled with alot less stupid comments and threads and more common sense positive stuff. The band the grateful dead is about understanding and love. And we are talking about someone who wore a phish shirt to a dead show, Cmon. i know the setlist comment is really funny, and the phish t shirt was a little funny, but you are serious about that. As are others who commented on how much they hate phish. I hate brown eyed women who eat popcorn with xtra butter, but thats thier deal, not mine. I'm not the one who has to clean up that mess. think about it.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by iraqistatefair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: starlite16, bow4bass
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

#106849 2 years, 9 months ago
I stopped writing down setlists when I stopped recording which was circa 1987, there were simply to many folks I knew doing both things and it left me time to dance up a storm and get lost in the music. I had been taping the band and other bands covertly since 1980 and then there were maybe four to ten tapers at the time; but by 1985 there was a forest of mic towers and it seemed kinda of fruitless and expensive to keep up with Jones on my small income. I remember one guy who had a shopping cart with car batteries on it for power. It was getting insane with some of the ten thousand dollar rigs popping up, and me with my 500.00 dollar outfit felt kind of rediculous, even though some of the recordings I made were awesome, I gave in to ecomic and logistic issues and decided to just have fun. Let the historinas chronicle the ages and I will live the history. Don't get me wrong here I want to thank those who came after with those expensive rigs, they provided me and you all with countless hours of sensory enjoyment.

By the way on t-shirts: I have seen everything from AC-DC to ZZ top at a Dead show and it does not bother me in the least, I like other music like Nancy Griffith, The Waifs, Pink Floyd, Sam Bush, to name but a few and I am sure you all do as well so who cares, hell I have seen Bobby wear a Madonna tee while on stage!!! I guess if its good for the gander...
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Zipster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet, iraqistatefair
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#106850 2 years, 9 months ago
Madonna rocks.....Bobby wears her well !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: patchmyfurthur
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#106852 2 years, 9 months ago
Happy New Year! 2012. What a ripping show. Only Jerry's live presence could have made it better. Not to say JK isn't tearing it up, cause he is bringing the heat. The whole band is tight, in a good way. Wifey and I wondering why there aren't more pictures of Russo? I, like many Deadheads (only title I've excepted, post Garcia's passing) wonder at Mickey and Bills absence. If it's a financial decision, I am appalled. That said, Russo is excellent. I can not say one is better than another. Even JK and Jerry, sure do miss Jerry's voice and playing; if I could never hear him again and he was sitting next to me listening to Furthur that would be better than how it is. However, w/ JK all I can hope is that he plays as much, or more , than Jerry, Loves life, a bit cleaner, and rocks on and on; love that his own sound and arrangements are coming through and hoping Bobby/ Phil can support him in leading the band. Certainly Bobby/ Phil will always garnish due respect; but come-on, lead guitar drives the bus; even though everyone, even me, lead the band sometimes. It is how it is and I am loving it. Listened to a Phish show from a good friend who's never taken them in, then a week ago they came home for him. operationwasabi.com/nospoilers/ph2011-12-28-set1-ns.mp3 Just heard the Decemberists' version of Row Jimmy, excellent. The miracles and life lessons I've received from my years touring, taping, cooking, selling trinkets, and cleaning up, just awesome. Love, Truth, abundant.
Last people in CalExpo lot, cops driving by w/ lights flashing, no sirens, me ripping djembe, girl listening, it was an excellent night, Gloria not the highlight but best version I'd heard. Lone dude crosses the lot to only other car. Shortly there-after my elbow was dripping, it's confirmed, I am home. A few days later at Laguna Seca there's Pepper fixing some dude's car, dash torn apart shoulder deep in helping another go on down the road, couple hours before LSD start time (that's Laguna Seca Days) That's what's missing from the Furthur scene family. We've received critisism from folks for having our children at the shows . . . I am seriously sorry folks missed the scene "back in the day," but it's simple, LOVE/ TRUTH.
So what's with the hating? Phish rips, you don't like em don't listen, maybe one day you'll like them, maybe not. If I know one thing in this life: keep an open mind, make no decision before it's time. No Time to Hate. Be Here Now.
At the Merch. table inside they hand out little advertisement/ setlist stiffys. It's not my gig, mostly cause if the music is on I'm gigging. I've loved tracking the setlists and often have notes of jams not caught in other lists, but, while I'm writing I'm missing something, sometimes that's OK. Kind of like a camera, a little separated from the experience while I'm trying to frame and capture it, best done for me in moving meditation.
Last night ripped! So looking forward to re-cast in an hour. I love that people are willing to put opinions out, hash it out a bit, contemplate. Nice to have a forum, other than AA/ NA where folks communicate without interruption. Although the Dead shows of yore there were multiplicities of verbal and non that were w/o interruption. I could walk through entire shows, and I'm saying all over, w/o bumping another but lightly, respectfully and with notice, care, and communication. Bringing the vibe to Furthur: remove the Crack, H, Nitrous, X; propensities. Bring back the LOVE/ TRUTH. Quick shout out to John Dwork and hARRY hAHN. LOVE YOU GUYS!
Time Is A Stripper Doing It Just For You. Don't miss it Hating.
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
starlite16
Junior Boarder

#106863 2 years, 9 months ago
Pencil and paper sets for those who choose, (?) compared to the BRIGHT BLUE CELLS PHONE TEXTERS!
I called security on a guy in pittsburgh last march when his light penetrated my closed eyes. Plus it was not his seat. He just would not stop and his reaction to secuiry was of course, to blame me really loud. Insecure, weak small Man! Then they asked for his stub:evil:
I have never summoned security at a show, ever. It was during an Althea jam no less.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet, Iriecycle
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#106872 2 years, 9 months ago
GratefulDad420 wrote:
I have been to plenty of Phish lots in the 90's, got tickets to see them for free, a few times, which are the times I went in, I also went to IT and Coventry, and I gave my opinion of the lot and the Phish scene. I also posted more of my views about the whole Phish scene in another thread.

I don't care what anyone wears anywhere, and don't think it really matters. Wear whatever you want, but I have been to numerous shows, and where I am comfy is at a Dead related event. The Phish community doesn't have the older crowd really, and so much of the attitudes are different. That is not to say you don't get assholes at Furthur, too, however the vibe is very, very different.

If you wanna sing about annagoddajiboo or whatever it is they're yappin about, that's fine by me, but they just don't have much deep lyrical meaning to me, and you can run around and do the meatstick with the other meat head frat boys if ya want, lol!

BTW, got a Phil wristband tonight!
Awesome on the wristband!!! That is a treasure. Happy New Year!!! What amazing show last night.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#106927 2 years, 9 months ago
Hey folks, don't get me wrong, I am not hating on Phish. I don't care if you love them, that's awesome! I was mainly commenting on the scene at the two shows, because someone said the crowds were almost the same. And yes, I did give a little ribbing on the lyrics, but what kinda deadhead would I be if i didn't give the Phish kids a little crap! LOL, like I said, no offense meant, and if you all hang out on tour and lot as much as I have over the years, maybe you would understand the jesting. I have a bunch of friends who love Phish, and we always go back and forth with each other, it's never meant maliciously. Don't get your panties all in a bunch!

Phish has some great musicians, but the scene and community, as well as band's mentality, is nothing like the GD scene. I know so many people who have been accosted by Phish merch police because they had a homemade Phish design on some artwork they made, or some type of clothing. A friend of mine can't be within 300 ft of Phish because he was selling t-shirts with his own version and design but containing a phish logo The boys aren't sending people to get you cause you make a stealie with some sports team in the skull, or whatever. There are way more police and busts on the Phish lots, and I am pretty sure it's because of the younger crowd and their lack of discretion, unlike what you see at some of the more mature scenes.

With the scene and crowds set aside, I thought Trey ripped it with Phil & Friends, but I can't get into Phish songs, and mostly for the simple fact that I don't enjoy Trey's voice, and I don't ever get the meaning of the majority of their lyrics. Like I said, I've been to numerous Phish lots, a few shows, and even a couple of their exclusive festivals (another thing I don't really get, where they have no other bands or acts, but that's their thing), and it's just not for me.

My main observation, however, was about the huge difference in the scene and community, and that is all I was trying to get at. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Different strokes for different folks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#106932 2 years, 9 months ago
Yes I. I got tired of the Phish hating accompanying the Ustream simulcast two nights ago in the chats. Also, all the comparing of "Jam bands" and the Dead. Clearly different ball games. The scene was worlds apart at the time of GD. Still, Furthur scene more steeped in the Family than Phish without doubt. Just spewwing, Haters, self-defined, not pointing fingers, thaanks for inspiration and clarification
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#106952 2 years, 9 months ago
I'm a massive Phishhead. Been going to their shows since '92. I've never really understood the either/or argument. Two very different sorts of music. It's like Which do you prefer: Zappa or the Dead?
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds