• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

Re: DSO 12.29

#108994 2 years, 8 months ago
BillyDeLion, I would love to hear your feedback if you get the chance to see them...like Terrapin Sedation said the interplay between Mattson and Eaton is fantastic...Eaton is loud in the mix so you can hear the Bobby parts well and he uses a cleaner tone than Bobby does now...I'm personally a huge DSO fan, granted I'd rather see Phil and/or Bobby play, but DSO definitely is top notch and in my opinion way closer to what the Dead sounded like (don't read too far into that; it's their job to sound as close as possible where as Phil and Bobby are doing new things to the music to keep it fresh) DSO is great especially for someone like me who never got to see Jerry and the GD
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#109014 2 years, 8 months ago
BillyDeLion wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:
i was at the 28th, 30th, and 31st...the NYE show really rocked a set from 60's, 70's, and 80's....gotta love DSO relatively cheap tickets at relatively small venues and they tour non stop and always bring it

I only saw DSO with John K once and I think they must have had an off night. I did see Jeff Matson countless times when he was in the Zen Tricksters and Volunteers.

I'm curious how you like DSO with their current line up as compared to their original line up.

I used to see the volunteers also all the time at the right track inn and pass times pub EVERY tuesday for quarter beers. Never saw DSO with JK but had the chance to see them last dec and thought it was a real good time. Used to fill the gaps between dead tours with Matson and Barraco and find they still do the trice between tours.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#109220 2 years, 8 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
BillyDeLion, I would love to hear your feedback if you get the chance to see them...like Terrapin Sedation said the interplay between Mattson and Eaton is fantastic...Eaton is loud in the mix so you can hear the Bobby parts well and he uses a cleaner tone than Bobby does now...I'm personally a huge DSO fan, granted I'd rather see Phil and/or Bobby play, but DSO definitely is top notch and in my opinion way closer to what the Dead sounded like (don't read too far into that; it's their job to sound as close as possible where as Phil and Bobby are doing new things to the music to keep it fresh) DSO is great especially for someone like me who never got to see Jerry and the GD

I would definitely like to see them.

Eaton has to be the best "Bobby" guitarist that I have seen, it's downright eerie at times watching him. Clean tone is cool, too, makes it easier for me to hear what he's doing as Weir's guitar parts interest me.

Thanks for your feedback.
These are the good old days!!
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#109221 2 years, 8 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
BillyDeLion wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:
i was at the 28th, 30th, and 31st...the NYE show really rocked a set from 60's, 70's, and 80's....gotta love DSO relatively cheap tickets at relatively small venues and they tour non stop and always bring it

I only saw DSO with John K once and I think they must have had an off night. I did see Jeff Matson countless times when he was in the Zen Tricksters and Volunteers.

I'm curious how you like DSO with their current line up as compared to their original line up.

I used to see the volunteers also all the time at the right track inn and pass times pub EVERY tuesday for quarter beers. Never saw DSO with JK but had the chance to see them last dec and thought it was a real good time. Used to fill the gaps between dead tours with Matson and Barraco and find they still do the trice between tours.

Yes, The Right Track Inn in Freeport and Pastimes Pub in Amityville!!!! Don't remember the Tuesday night beer special. I also saw them at a place called Diamond Lil's somewhere up by Oyster Bay.

I also saw a good GD cover band a couple times at Pastimes called "Timberwolf". Did you ever see them? Someone told me Barraco was in that band for a while but I don't know.
These are the good old days!!
nwnjsteve
Junior Boarder

#109223 2 years, 8 months ago
BillyDeLion wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to see them sometime. I just watched the 1/2 step-->Franklin's video.... good stuff. The acoustic set must have been nice!
I just uploaded a bunch of the wooden music on to my you tube site ,just get the name off of the top of one of the other vids ,you ll see plus some other stuff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#109226 2 years, 8 months ago
I've been to diamond lils also. Saw timber wolf at hammerheads a few times also. I don't remember Rob being in Timberwolf. I grew up in east meadow and was friends with Tom and Connie circosta. I bet I know you from those days.
nwnjsteve
Junior Boarder

#110283 2 years, 8 months ago
Rob did deffently play with timberwolf ,used to see them in jersey at a place called mothers and dizzy ducins in morris plains,i think their last show was at the chance in upstate around -82
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyDeLion
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#110307 2 years, 8 months ago
BillyDeLion wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:

I would definitely like to see them.

Eaton has to be the best "Bobby" guitarist that I have seen, it's downright eerie at times watching him. Clean tone is cool, too, makes it easier for me to hear what he's doing as Weir's guitar parts interest me.

Thanks for your feedback.

It would be well worth your time to check them out. With JK, their sound was a bit more melodic and the jams (while good) were a bit more straightforward. With JM, there is more psychedlic vibe, more exploration, and the liberal use of crescendoes on the bridges. JM's vocals have vastly improved and it is clear they are a tight bunch who LOVE to play together. I have never seen Eaton happier.

Call them a cover or tribute band at your peril. The last 18 months have shown me that they are their own deal and their interpretation of the GD sound is top-notch. Folks within a 5-6 (or more) hour travel epicenter would be crazy to pass up a visit with DSO. Their 60's stuff is a total mindbender!
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds