• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
judit
Junior Boarder

Re: Obscura Day...Anyone Participating?

#10483 3 years ago
I sent the google page to my brother-in-law, who sent me some more info. I then did a little more research. These are what we found:

Discovery channel's Mythbusters episode 113:
Adam and Jamie visited a zoo to obtain a variety of feces to try to polish. They tried to pick the most polishable candidates and baked them to remove the moisture. Adam tried to shine his poop with a buffing wheel, while Jamie reasoned that using a wax polish would result in a shine. Adam eventually sought the advice of an outside expert, who showed him that it was possible to apply a shine to dirt with a tedious technique. Applying this technique, Adam and Jamie were able to obtain very polished poop without using any foreign materials like polish.

In the episode "End with a Bang" (Episode 113) of the Discovery Channel series "MythBusters" that first aired on November 12, 2008, hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman investigated the truth behind everyday sayings. They used the dorodango technique to create dung spheres in order to bust the myth that one "can't polish a turd". Using a glossmeter, they measured gloss levels substantially higher than the value of 70 gloss units which is considered "high gloss". Savage's 106 gloss unit dorodango used an ostrich's feces, while Hyneman's 183 gloss unit specimen used a lion's feces.
FUCK CANCER!

Peace & Love
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#10532 3 years ago
Fascinating, isn't it? I saw the mythbusters "polishing turds" link, LOL...here it is, along with other info about shining the balls of dirt..I wonder how long it takes in actual hours..seems like the process goes quicker if you can place the balls in a refrigerator.

hubpages.com/hub/hikaru-dorodango

Still waiting on word from the speakeasy...These huge free theme parties happen in SF all the time and are quick to fill to capacity..too bad I don't work 1/2 block from the Warfield like back in the day. It's not like there is a shortage of stuff to do around here, though, this weekend is full of fun choices on the home range.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#10665 3 years ago
That's cool.

Bummed I didn't see it until it was too late. In Chicago one of the events was at The International Museum of Surgical Science and involved 3D photos and a magic lantern show depicting all kinds of skin diseases with a warning "Probably not suitable for children"

I've been to that museum and it's definately not your typical tourist attraction.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 3 years ago by ruby_claire.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#10738 3 years ago
Ruby, I hear ya, I was bummed to hear about the speakeasy event too late...but we have a head start on next year!
I saw the Chicago event listing. That, along with the New Haven brain in a jar tour creeped me out a bit.

My favorite events were the midnight row on the river in Manila and the Gates of Hell hike, so cool.

Also, the Magic Gardens in Philly with the mosaic sculptures looks totally mind melting..I need to see if there are any of these in my area.

I'm surprised our own Camera Obscura and Mechanical Museum in SF weren't listed, both fit the bill.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds