• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Light of Venus and a Brand New Crescent Moon

#103704 2 years, 9 months ago
Don't know if anyone else is a sky watcher, but it looks like tonight is a good night to crank up a Terrapin and then look up to catch the spiral light of Venus right next to a brand new crescent moon.

From space.com: "For those still recovering from an active Christmas Day, there will be a celestial sight pretty enough to adorn your Christmas tree on the evening after Christmas. The brilliant planet Venus will shine prominently in the vicinity of a lovely crescent moon. The Venus-moon sky show repeats on Tuesday night, too. On Monday, check the south-southwest sky right after the sun sets. Venus will likely catch your eye first since it will be shining about one-fifth of the way up from the horizon. Now look off to the right and at a slightly lower altitude from Venus and you'll also catch sight of the slender sliver of a waxing (new) crescent moon. The eye-catching duo will quickly descend as the sky darkens, finally setting about 2 1/2 hours after sunset, beyond the southwest horizon."

venusandmoon.jpg
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Light of Venus and a Brand New Crescent Moon

#103707 2 years, 9 months ago
Brand new crescent moons are great. They look like a crystal goblet in the sky. Slowly filling with drops of Venus.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , SunshineSue
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#103710 2 years, 9 months ago
Chester wrote:
Brand new crescent moons are great. They look like a crystal goblet in the sky. Slowly filling with drops of Venus.

Beautiful:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#103756 2 years, 9 months ago
I was lucky enough to be driving towards my new country home watching the beautiful radiance as I drove with an ear to ear smile and glowing feeling of peace. AWESOME, Thanks Paige!
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

#103760 2 years, 9 months ago
I'm glad you caught it, Bob. With the clear skies here, it was gorgeous!
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#103761 2 years, 9 months ago
Just got home from photographing sunset and trying to shoot the moon & Venus. Between clouds and contrails was shut out but did catch a short glimpse of it. Glad to others are into skywatching too.
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#103829 2 years, 9 months ago
Can't let this thread not have one.....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer , SunshineSue, newyawker, volare, doodahman66, will work for doses
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

#103832 2 years, 9 months ago
Thanks so much, TS, that was definitely needed. And it's a New Year's one, no less!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#103896 2 years, 9 months ago
i got to catch it as i walkedout the door to run some errands saw the whole show low in the western sky ,my wife was even amazed and i bore her with this stuff,she got me a telescope for christmas
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#103911 2 years, 9 months ago
Thanks Sue, I knew that was a planet just didn't know which one, simply beeutiful it was.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds