• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

Re: Eating in San Francisco

#103262 2 years, 8 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
The Cliff House is a SF landmark. It's at Ocean Beach, 1090 Point Lobos Avenue. The view alone is worth a visit. While you are there, check out the ruins of the Sutro Baths, the old arcade and the Camera Obscura, which is really cool!

And across the Great Highway is the Beach Chalet, where you can also get food, and they now have a brew pub in there with their own label.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#103263 2 years, 8 months ago
We love Chinese food, but lately we've found the better quality food is at Thai or Vietnamese restaurants.
BigBabyViper
Junior Boarder

#103291 2 years, 8 months ago
wlewis wrote:
great thread, love trying new stuff and this weekend will be one for just that.

we ate breakfast at the pork store right on haight st last time i wa sout there, with alex from golden arrow. killer huevos rancheros!!

pork store is awesome def recommend a breakfast there also the grand cafe is another awesome breakfast spot its in the regency or something some fancy place for sure
It never got weird enough for me -Hunter S.
Greatnorthspecial
Junior Boarder

#103316 2 years, 8 months ago
OK I love that someone started this thread. I am from CT and was in SF in June after a 18 year hiatus (Shoreline '93). Pork Store was then and is still now a great breakfast spot in the Haight. You won't need to eat again for the rest of the day! In June I went to P & G Lounge in Chinatown and had the highly recomnmended Salt & Pepper Crab which was incredible.

Went to Kubuto Sushi which was OK but not the top fun spot it was in 1993 (moved also). Had really great sushi in June at Ebisu over towards Golden Gate Park.

Had great coffee/espresso drinks at Ritual Coffee in the Mission and Tartin Bakery nearby was amazing.

Would love others to post more recommendations as I am coming in for Furthur this week and staying in town for a few days after! Also looking for great walks, hikes, or runs within an hour or two of SF. Thanks in advance.

I hear Mission Chinese is very good. Anyone been there?

Chinese Food?

Italian Food?

Burgers? (Sorry Vegetarians)

Thanks,

Alan
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#103321 2 years, 8 months ago
Daisy Mae wrote:
We love Chinese food, but lately we've found the better quality food is at Thai or Vietnamese restaurants.
Because the Chinese (all the various regions and foods) tend to depend on oil and fat more as a primary flavoring than the Vietnamese and Thai. I've always thought -besides the proliferation- that is why Americans tend to like Chinese a lot more than the other Asian cuisines. It's closer to eating a greasy hamburger than the others.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#103326 2 years, 8 months ago
For a close hike you can't do better than Tilden Park in the Berkeley Hills, or a trip to Point Reyes in Marin. Better yet, do both!
Tiki Mon
Junior Boarder

#103447 2 years, 8 months ago
Tiki Mon Picks for Eating in San Francisco.

Tommy's Joint at
1101 Geary Boulevard San Francisco, CA 94109-6815
(415) 775-4216
awesome food and bar atmosphere. SF original.

Max's at
398 Geary St San Francisco, CA 94102-1802
(650) 788-6297
desserts!!! and big menu, brunch is good too. Patty Melts Rule!@!

Tonga Room. Mother of all Tiki Bars!
950 Mason St San Francisco, California 94108
(415) 772-5278
drinks are expensive and taste like perfume, but a fun place to be transported to tiki land!
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#103553 2 years, 8 months ago
Tiki Mon wrote:
Tiki Mon Picks for Eating in San Francisco.

Tommy's Joint at
1101 Geary Boulevard San Francisco, CA 94109-6815
(415) 775-4216
awesome food and bar atmosphere. SF original.

Max's at
398 Geary St San Francisco, CA 94102-1802
(650) 788-6297
desserts!!! and big menu, brunch is good too. Patty Melts Rule!@!

Tonga Room. Mother of all Tiki Bars!
950 Mason St San Francisco, California 94108
(415) 772-5278
drinks are expensive and taste like perfume, but a fun place to be transported to tiki land!

I second that emotion for Tommy's. I used to go there regularly for a late night pesto/pasta meal and was never disappointed. As far as the Tonga, agreed that it is a unique experience. Be careful if you go there in an altered state, however, the cheesy band floating in on the boat may send you over the deep end!!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#103559 2 years, 8 months ago
Thanks for the Tonga Info, I think its in r connected to our Hotel ( Fairmont ) Also THANKS for the food info.
Is there anywhere by Nob Hill to get a Kind cup of coffee? Im big into great tasting black coffee and know there's a great one waiting that doesn't say "Starbucks".....
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#103561 2 years, 8 months ago
Italian Food?

Alan[/quote]

As mentioned, but I didn't specify it being Italian, the Stinking Rose in North Beach. When you're seated they bring a bowl of roasted garlic and bread. Food is killer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: h82luz2000, rockinbob
Time to create page: 0.83 seconds