• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

Eating in San Francisco

#103162 2 years, 10 months ago
Here's my favorite places to eat in SF. Please add to the list.

In North Beach Tony's Pizza 1556 & 1570 Stockton is the best place in the city for pizza and Italian. There is a sit-down restaurant and also a take out joint next door.

Extreme Pizza is good too. There's one South of Market 1062 Folsom @ 7th, and one at 1730 Fillmore @ Post in the Fillmore.

For falafel (or chicken or lamb) near the Haight there is Taboun 203 Parnassus @ Stanyan.

In the Sunset District (south of GGP) Yumma's 721 Irving and Sunrise Deli 2115 Irving are both good falafel (or chicken or lamb) joints.

Our favorite vegetarian Chinese Restaurant is also in the Sunset, Shangri-La 2026 Irving. There's even a whole section of their menu where you can order by your particular ailment or debility.

Everybody should try Asian Dessert and Juice Bar places, too. Bopa Milk Tea. Bizarre sounding deserts with names like Four Healthy Worlds or Grass Jelly Milk served with shaved ice or bopa mixed into smoothies. Try the mango with tadpole eggs in coconut milk, or the strawberry with sea coral. How about a Wax Gourd Slush or a Red Bean Milk Tea. Not enough? Add Rainbow Jelly or Magic Jelly for .50 extra. Bopa and tadpole eggs are tapioca pearls, the sea coral is coconut meat, there are cubes made of aloe, slabs of black seaweed gelatin, all ingeniously colored and textured. They're kind of bland at first, and then strangely addicting, with a great texture. What seems like about 100 different combinations are possible. We like Tea Way 2150 Irving, or Tuttimelon, or Quickly 2116 Irving. Bopa (chewy tapioca balls the size of a pea, or smaller) can often be found at regular juice bars too.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Daisy Mae.
BigBabyViper
Junior Boarder

Re: Eating in San Francisco

#103163 2 years, 10 months ago
i got one its called the first crush i believe its right by the big mall in the shopping district next to the parc 55 hotel. they use all organic and natural ingredients. last year we did their 5 course meal on new years eve and the duck was awesome with the lobster bisque mmmmmm cant wait to get down there
It never got weird enough for me -Hunter S.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#103184 2 years, 10 months ago
anyone have an opinion on this place:
www.hrdcoffeeshop.com/
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#103185 2 years, 10 months ago
It's all about Giordano Brothers in North Beach (San Francisco's take on the infamous Primanti Bros. in Pitsburgh).
Best sandwiches in town and that's sayin a lot. www.giordanobros.com/

There's also some really good papusarias in the Mission District, don't know the names or locations off the top of my head but you just gotta poke around.

Anyone know of a really good sushi restraunt for a decent price (not to cheap, not to expensive)?
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#103187 2 years, 10 months ago
Used to live in SF.......two places I'd suggest. Marnee Thai in the Inner Sunset (just south of Golden Gate Park) and the Stinking Rose in North Beach. Otherwise you'll find a lot of good restaurants in this great city, ya' just gotta' poke around
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#103199 2 years, 10 months ago
One of the best cheap restaurants in SF is Tu Lan's at 8 6th Street. It is a Vietnamese place across Market Street from The Warfield. Very tasty!!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#103219 2 years, 10 months ago
great thread, love trying new stuff and this weekend will be one for just that.

we ate breakfast at the pork store right on haight st last time i wa sout there, with alex from golden arrow. killer huevos rancheros!!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#103237 2 years, 10 months ago
Has anyone heard of the Cliff House and do you know where it is at??? Im ALL ABOUT Pizza, so thanks for the tip, going to check on that ZA! MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#103240 2 years, 10 months ago
The Cliff House is a SF landmark. It's at Ocean Beach, 1090 Point Lobos Avenue. The view alone is worth a visit. While you are there, check out the ruins of the Sutro Baths, the old arcade and the Camera Obscura, which is really cool!
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob, deadontherivet
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#103259 2 years, 10 months ago
iamthedoor wrote:
It's all about Giordano Brothers in North Beach (San Francisco's take on the infamous Primanti Bros. in Pitsburgh).
Best sandwiches in town and that's sayin a lot. www.giordanobros.com/

There's also some really good papusarias in the Mission District, don't know the names or locations off the top of my head but you just gotta poke around.

Anyone know of a really good sushi restraunt for a decent price (not to cheap, not to expensive)?

I agree, Giordano Bros. is very good! Also,for great Chinese food the House of Nan King is just a couple blocks away (it's on Kearny at Columbus).
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds