• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

Re: Groundhog day with Phil

#102763 2 years, 10 months ago
I enjoy Phil's singing. The new Mountain Song is one I love to hear as often as I can. Always down for an Unbroken Chain, Box of Rain, or a Tom Thumb's. I guess if I had to listen to all the repeats on Sirius all day, something may begin to bug me, since there are SO many hours of music to choose from, but that is why I quit paying for Sirius. I'd just stick to GDRadio.net, since they play complete shows all day and night, and it takes a long while before they repeat something, plus you can stream it from your smartphones now. I also agree Phil's singing has gotten WAY better than the old days. With Furthur, I can't ever find a time when I would complain about hearing Phil sing, and at least he almost never screws up the lyrics! I have always been a Phil head, and always will! If you're looking for me at a show, you'll almost always find me in the Phil Zone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#102840 2 years, 10 months ago
I look forward to the day they open up the JGB archive, Then we will have some fun!
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker, BillyDeLion
Chester
More or less in line

#102844 2 years, 10 months ago
Little Bear wrote:
I look forward to the day they open up the JGB archive, Then we will have some fun!

Amen to that.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#102853 2 years, 10 months ago
newyawker wrote:
I do not know why, but the last week every time I have gotten into my car, I have heard Phils vocals on XM!!!! This is driving me nuts!!!! If I hear Pride of Cuc one more time I may have to pull over. Not one of my favs anyway. COuld go a lifetime without hearing it again.

This is a tongue in cheek type thread cats, not a phil bash or anything. But enough is enough.

For a while, they were playing the studio version of Feel Like a Stranger way too often.

I'd like more variety on the Sirius-XM GD channel too. The other day they played Merle Saunders, which was cool. I've yet to hear Robert Hunter on the channel.

Sirius-XM's Deep Cuts channel plays a lot of GD, I heard Pigpen's version of Midnight Hour recently.
These are the good old days!!
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#102855 2 years, 10 months ago
I like his singing. Actually, I like it a lot. I think his beaming versions of Eyes might be his best vocal song; been that way for several years now. Maybe you have to see him perform it or something. When he closes his eyes, smiling from one side of the stage to the other, and is surrounded by a halo of true joy, it's usually one of the most beautiful elements of a show. Not only beautiful, but I feel so ever strongly that those are very, very special moments that I wish I could capture to hold onto the rest of my life. I'll remember them and be able to talk about them, but I won't be able to hold onto their utter brilliance. JK could never match that unlocking the key to the universe. One of those instances where I'd argue that notes or tonal mimicry wouldn't make the piece better.

I don't think Phil ever wrote a less than stellar song, at least not until There and Back Again. Not many because he's a self-admitted control freak, but the ones he did let out are all pure gold (to my ears).
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds