• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Groundhog day with Phil

#102524 2 years, 7 months ago
I do not know why, but the last week every time I have gotten into my car, I have heard Phils vocals on XM!!!! This is driving me nuts!!!! If I hear Pride of Cuc one more time I may have to pull over. Not one of my favs anyway. COuld go a lifetime without hearing it again.

This is a tongue in cheek type thread cats, not a phil bash or anything. But enough is enough.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by newyawker.
james wright
Junior Boarder

Re: Groundhog day with Phil

#102565 2 years, 7 months ago
Let there be songs to Phil XM
"You can't quit the mob"-Ken Kesey
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#102605 2 years, 7 months ago
that's what we call a lucky week in my book
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2, funky420, Little Bear, doin_that_rag
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#102625 2 years, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
that's what we call a lucky week in my book

Lewie, c'mon man. I dont mind a Box or Tom Thumb every other month or so, but 3 x's a day is tooo much!!!!! LOL What I do find odd though all kidding aside, is after all these years one would think his vox would improve!!! Take lessons or something. I remember reading an article where they actually shut his mike off on stage!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by newyawker.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#102626 2 years, 7 months ago
james wright wrote:
Let there be songs to Phil XM

I will send them all to you then!!!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#102630 2 years, 7 months ago
The one that drives me nuts is Bobby's "bombs away". Good song but you can catch it twice a day on XM quite regularly. It's a bit too soda pop for high rotation imo.

Last night I heard Lazy Lightening for the 4th time in 3 or 4 days. Normally I'll go months without hearing it once. I found it odd especially after the 3rd and 4th times.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#102637 2 years, 7 months ago
newyawker---i'm a gigantic phil fan. i'm not saying i like every song he sings but if he did box of rain or broken arrow every night i wouldn't be upset, that's just me! i'd like for him to stop singing eyes and franklins and give them to john. i love pride of cucamonga.
how can you say his vocals have not improved. listen to him in 1973, 1989, 1995, and now. it evolved but i feel like between 2001-present it shaped the most to what it is today, and from what i've read he's taken many lessons to get there.

scarlet---bombs away, classic weir, classic ratbob....you've been hearing so many lazy>supp's because they are trying to subtly insinuate the breakout on the NYE run
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#102649 2 years, 7 months ago
Do you know How Bad some of us wish we had a car in which to hear Phils vocals?? Just be glad its not 'Cosmic charley' everytime, Remember it could always be worse Perhaps the last 2 minutes of a playin in the band, When Donna was around?

I love Phils voice nowa days (Not so much with the Grateful Dead, Think he had to much testosterone to sing back then) Gives me shivers on an ON night when he sings "You get confused listen to the music play" Just the way he swells his voice right then "Listen to the MUUUUUSIIC PLAAAAAYYY" Like that

And I agree with Lewis, Broken Arrow, Box of rain, Tom thumbs, Could hear'em everynight
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Little Bear.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#102657 2 years, 7 months ago
Phil's vocals early on in the studio i.e. box and unbroken chain are gospel esque (not the best explanation but they can send chills down my spine and are very powerful especially box of rain)

In the 80's and 90's, yes Phil didn't have the best vocals, but come on I could hear Phil sing box of rain every hour from now until the day I die. I always thought it was cool listening to those shows and hearing a big Phil chant and then have him sing (I say listen to those shows cause obviously I was to young to have been there)

That being said I think Phil's vocals now are far better than they were in the late GD days and I really don't mind him singing some Jerry tunes such as Franklins or Eyes (gasp, I know...)

I'm also probably biased on this as Phil is my 2nd favorite member of the band behind Jerry and by far my favorite living member and that is probably in part to the fact that my first dead related show was Phil and Friends 6/17/08 and the encore was box of rain and it was incredible...every special show I've been to box has been played (Hampton 4/1 special cause my dad saw the GD there more than anywhere else, MSG 11/10 special cause well its MSG, and my 1st show was obviously special as well)

"WE WANT PHIL"
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#102747 2 years, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
newyawker---i'm a gigantic phil fan. i'm not saying i like every song he sings but if he did box of rain or broken arrow every night i wouldn't be upset, that's just me! i'd like for him to stop singing eyes and franklins and give them to john. i love pride of cucamonga.
how can you say his vocals have not improved. listen to him in 1973, 1989, 1995, and now. it evolved but i feel like between 2001-present it shaped the most to what it is today, and from what i've read he's taken many lessons to get there.

scarlet---bombs away, classic weir, classic ratbob....you've been hearing so many lazy>supp's because they are trying to subtly insinuate the breakout on the NYE run

Lewie:

I am also a giant phan. I guess I am showing my age. The novelty of the 'We want Phil' in the 80's was fun. I have listened to him and honestly hear no difference in his voice. In fact as I was going to pick my son up at 5;30 tonight, Phil and friends box of rain came on. No difference..lolol

i will say this though, i will take is monotone voice over Donna wailing any day of the week.

i was listening to a show on xm from 76. Very tite Scarlet was playing, then all of a sudden Donna scared the shit out of me when she came in.
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds