• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

Re: Strangers helping strangers

#102873 2 years, 3 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
deadontherivet wrote:
If any out there wants to do something real ez and enexspensive that will have an immediate impact on a child's life check out Edenrose..org This is a nonprofit ( with quite a few heads involved) that work with women and children in Ecuador to help provide them with a better life. The work they do is selfless and at the least inspiring. My pin company has helped them raise $200 in the last couple of days which will provide 40 children with some sort of Christmas. They still need a lot of help and for as little as $5 u can impact a child's life.

My wife is from Ecuador and I've been down there a couple of times. Beautiful country, but where we go in cuenca is very high altitude. I've driven and hiked in the 'cajas' in the majestic Andes mountains. Up in the clouds. Breathtaking, especially the stars at night.

In the middle of nowhere the native indigenous families live in mud huts that are heated by a fire inside. Very small living quarters. I've watched them wash their clothes in the rivers with rocks several times. The women carry their babies in cloth sacks hanging off their backs. These are real 'living off the land people' without much to their name. They all wear very trippy Guatemalan clothes and very cool panama hats ( which are hand woven in Ecuador).

I've purchased several bracelets from the group you mention on the lot a couple of times. They do charge extra but the goods are really nice and they are being made in ecuador by the women who they are trying to help. The Ecuadorian women weaving are paid a fair amount for their work. I'm pretty sure they said the extra $ is used to provide help in Ecuador. I assume this is the same organization -
yeah it is the same group. They do pretty amazing things. They build schools, and help provide for over a 1000 impoverished children as well. Check out their photos. the work that they do is pretty unreal. It makes me happy just knowing that selfless individuals like this exist in the world.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#102882 2 years, 3 months ago
I checked and yes same people. Really really kind people. They also had those ultra cool wood carvings of gd stuff
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#103142 2 years, 3 months ago
I read this article today and was happy to know there are still good people out there. I love this time of year it usuallt brings out the best in people.

A 5-year-old girl from suburban Seattle sent a letter to Santa attached to two pink balloons, and it ended up in the hands of a Northern California ranching family who say they'll make the girl's wishes come true.

Helen Cardenas, of Auburn, wrote the note in Spanish, asking for a doll, a tea set, shoes and pants, KOMO-TV reported.

Her mother, Rosa Cardenas de Beyes, helped send the note Dec. 2. She said she has been out of work and cash has been tight.

"I didn't know what to do," Cardenas de Beyes said. "So I always told her we would send a balloon to Santa because that was a tradition when I was little."

The note ended up nearly 700 miles away, in Laytonville, Calif.

"My son Lane just came home from Christmas, so we were out on the four-wheeler in the middle of our 17,000-acre ranch, when we saw what we thought was garbage," said Frank Sanderson.

"Para Papa Diosito," the letter began, scrawled in Helen's handwriting.

A Spanish-speaking ranch hand translated the letter and called the phone number that was written along with an address. The Sanderson family drove to the nearest shopping mall to find gifts for the little girl, and they planned to ship them Friday.

"We're just hoping the gifts get there before Christmas," Julie Sanderson said. "For the balloons to make it this far down here and for us to find it, is just unbelievable."

Read more: lacrossetribune.com/news/weird-news/cali...0.html#ixzz1hW7UbA1k
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: gr8fuljen
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#103341 2 years, 3 months ago
Dear Gr8fulJen,
Wanted to thank you because you did inspire me to help another and I had an opportunity to do so and did so. It made my whole holiday.
Thank You Jen and WITS
May you have a wonderful time this holiday season and on NYE!
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
starlite16
Junior Boarder

#103377 2 years, 3 months ago
Jen--I hope that child is warm & safe.
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds