• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

Strangers helping strangers

#102253 2 years, 7 months ago
So..I was at the police station today, giving my statement on the 5 yr old boy that I found wondering on Friday with no shoes or coat at the 7-11... I have been pretty depressed since it happened.. after we left the station, we went to lunch at the diner down the street.. I really wanted to feel better.. so I looked around the diner and found an older woman sitting alone. I went to the manager and told him I wanted to pay her tab. He had the waitress get the bill and he asked if he should let her know who paid it, I said, just tell her its a stranger wanting to wish her a Merry Christmas. So I paid her tab, tipped her waitress well, and wrote Merry Christmas on her check for them to give to her and then we left. I felt much better after.

I'd like to inspire everyone to find someone in need or just a stranger and do something for them by Christmas. You will be surprised at how a simple kind gesture can turn someone's day around and restore hope that kindness and humanity is still alive.

Peace
Jen
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Re: Strangers helping strangers

#102255 2 years, 7 months ago
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#102257 2 years, 7 months ago
What a truely kind and selfless act.
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#102283 2 years, 7 months ago
That is the true Christmas spirit and it's inspirational. Your simple act of kindness will likely be something the woman speaks about for the rest of her life. Good for you! Put me in the mood to also help a stranger, which is pretty ez in NYC.

Edit, I am of course speaking of paying the tab. The story with the 5 year old is a bit disturbing.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#102298 2 years, 7 months ago
You know, today on the bus I overheard this japanese tourist ask the woman next to her if she was on the right bus. The woman said "no, you should be on the 33, that runs south of here". They were headed to Venice Beach. I thought about it and concluded they were fine- the bus ends in about 4 miles, then they can hop on the 33 at the end point. I was meandering in my mind when I realize they just got off the bus in a place where there's no help, no other buses and the nearest bus is miles away. So they'll just hop back on.

I felt awful- I could have stopped them, and helped them. Instead the rest of their morning will be confusing, because they don't seak much english and it'll be hours before they realize what to do and I could have just said "hey- hold on...." It happened about 8 hours ago and it still bugs me I didn't speak up.
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#102314 2 years, 7 months ago
Don't beat yourself up Lost Sailor... plenty of time (the rest of your life) to start to "step in" or help out ...no time to get started like tommorow...as they say its better to give than recieve.. you will feel so much better and the person or people on the receivng end of you kindest will hopefully pass it along. One day you will need help and karma works.

* Mystery guest poster below LOL

I just wanted to add that not only did she do that ( I am very proud of my wife).. we have spent the last few hours getting donations ready to take the mission and another bunch of things to take to the Childrens Inn at NIH. Amazing how much stuff you have that was barely ever used or brand new and is sitting around that can help others in need. Also, being that her son is now 19 I guess its was time for her to part with the mickey mouse & donald duck mirror, toys, and the sorcery LOL books (Jen sad face) . We're takin the stuff to the mission tommorow and I'll be riding with Jen to work soon to pass out the toys to the sick kids at NIH (I was in the hospital for over a month as a young child including Christmas).

Finally, we are by no means saints ( wait till ya catch our act next week ) but a little bit of time or a small amount of money to help another really makes you feel better. IF we all did this year round instead of just Christmas imagine what a better place we would all be living in. ( stepping down from soap box)

Better run & get out a here before they find out the prodigal son snuck in for a quick 1/2 a post.

Lastly one week from now we'll be in San Francisco wohoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by gr8fuljen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Island Head
starlite16
Junior Boarder

#102323 2 years, 7 months ago
No competeing of course but I do so many things like that.They tend to lean towards someone I think may be in a precarious place. I even prevented a woman I knew had little edu. once, keep from buying a over the counter med that would have killed her hubby. That is why they package them so beautifully! My giving this x-mas is the best I have done yet. No need to tell it but I feel good. But I do not feel so good that personally I am not having one. 8 years now. Not even a store. That is my not fun rd, so no 'go smell the roses' platitudes. I dew that.
What you did Jen was awesome awesome awesomeB) Do you know how few do this stuff. Here here. But what is the story on the child? Do you know?
(((real kindess not in cyberworld:kiss: )))
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#102330 2 years, 7 months ago
I try to practice Random Acts of Kindness everyday even in the smallest ways. It is a soul feeder and joy bringer when you do these things! THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATIONAL POST! Merry Christmas and happy holidays.....
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
The following user(s) said Thank You: gr8fuljen
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#102334 2 years, 7 months ago
Bravo Starlite. Long long story short I put it up here last Friday. Stopped on the way home from work and a five yr old kid with no shoes or coat asked me to help find his Mommy. I asked the store to call 911 but they refused so I did. Then one of the employees ran out of the store. I stayed with the boy and waited about 15 minutes later this crack head chick shows up (the mother) and starts screaming at the 5 yr old. I stepped in and nearly had an altercation. (short version this boy was walking up to strangers asking for help finding his Mommy and she was nowhere to be found)...anyway I spoke with this cop who said he had found the kid wandering around town square all alone before and that there was an open case against her and he would report it to DHHR.. (child services & welfare). I was really really upset. I came home a mess worried about this kid all weekend. Incidentally ( and not important in the big picture) when I got online here and a dude named Kevin started attacking me I started crying again. What is wrong with people? That is when my now banned evil husband started the thread lookiing for who Kevin was ( maybe not appropriate especially out of context but he was just defending me). Anyway I followed up with DHHr on Monday and guess what? The cop had never called ... spoke with several people there who were to put it mildly VERY upset with the situation as they should have been. Now that they got involved the cop who failed to do anything calls me at work yesterday and says they are pressing chiid neglect charges against her. Evidently he did a lil investigation and found out this mother was basically using the 7 eleven as a babysitting service. What really blows my mind is I went online and there are 7 child sex offenders within 2 miles of that 7 eleven. So to finish I had to go make my statement at the station today and put it all on paper. I don't like to get people in trouble but what could have happened to this child is still depressing me... and that people knew but did nothing. The cop said their will be a prelimanary hearing ( oh I failed to mention a Marine SGT witnessed all of it and gave me his number as a witness if my story needed corroborated-- as it turns out its all on video) which he said I didn't need to attend but I will. IF there own mother doesn't look out for this child someone needs to.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by gr8fuljen.
starlite16
Junior Boarder

#102515 2 years, 7 months ago
I would have not been able to function after that either. heck-the news can dew that. OMG jen. I respect the law and always have but I have but too often these last years, I know of "non-follow-ups" they have NOT done with important things. BUT they will follow any harrassment papers someone fills out that are fake!
But to not follow up on that child??
When you saw the Jaycee Duggard story were you sickened at how many times parole officers and cops had been to his house? Over 20 years while she was out back and they let his whining keep theselves from being meticulous? When I saw that his leg tracker showed all this time behind that false rear fence and neighbors reporting.......
Action; i would be writing an annon. letter to that cop in care of that precint, that he should be ashamed. God bless you and your eveil hubby:lol:
We can only visulaize a fairy coming to all these kids and taking them to Christmas land;)
If people knew who some posters truly are within? I think they choose not to know.
(((jen-hubby-me)))
Time to create page: 5.27 seconds