• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: GD Game top 10 shows

#102110 2 years, 10 months ago
Check out the Not Fade Away from 77-05-08 Cornell. I know the Scarlet>Fire gets a lot of attention, and rightfully so, but the Not Fade Away might be my favorite version of that song. It doesn't flow much more effortlessly than that. Soft. Luxurious. Barefoot through a warm, gentle stream over soft moss. At 16+ minutes, it's far too short.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#102115 2 years, 10 months ago
8/27/72 gets my top vote.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf
JAugustW
Junior Boarder

#102150 2 years, 10 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
Here is the Top 10:

Barton Hall - Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 5/8/77
Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO 7/8/78
Old Renaissance Faire Grounds, Veneta, OR 8/27/72
Madison Square Garden , New York , NY 9/18/87
Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA 10/9/89
Fillmore East, New York, NY 2/13/70
Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY 3/24/90
Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA 8/13/75
Fillmore East, New York, NY 4/29/71
RFK Stadium, Washington, DC 6/10/73

Personally, I think 9/18/87 and 10/9/89 should be before 7/8/78. 8/27/72 should be #1 or #2.

Oughta be a Winterland show in there somewhere, I think. I've seen and heard lots and lots of shows, and always thought the boys did some of their best playin' there.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#102178 2 years, 10 months ago
people are voting for it because one of the first things you hear when you really start getting into the dead is "barton hall 77 man!!!
"may 77 dude!!!"...no doubt about it a great spring but to me i hear a garcia decline. some call it an evolution. it's really the effects heroin started having on jerry.

tim---are you really surprised to not see any 79-86??

zeno-- 1978-04-16 one of my favorites---good ol huntington WV...possibly my favorite peggy-o
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#102233 2 years, 10 months ago
JAugustW wrote:

Oughta be a Winterland show in there somewhere, I think. I've seen and heard lots and lots of shows, and always thought the boys did some of their best playin' there.

how about 11-10-73 Playin'>UJB>DEW>UJB>Playin' that one has always been a personal favorite of mine and i know Furthur did that sequence at Shoreline this summer
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#102284 2 years, 10 months ago
77 is definitely a great great year especially that spring tour. The Winterland October 74 run was about as good as it gets even though my favorite time period are Pigpen years and that is why I would put Fillmore East 9-20-70 on there (in addition to loving acoustic sets) which is also why I like stuff from 1980 and the Radio City Halloween show has the greatest space (going into Fire) ever.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#102294 2 years, 10 months ago
Veneta, OR
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#102315 2 years, 10 months ago
For you 72-08-27 lovers, I recommend SHN ID 16582 to be your go-to source. This was one of the first shows that I grabbed all the different recordings out there and painstakingly studied to find the one with the best sound.
db.etree.org/shn/16582

It's difficult for me to listen to this show and not want to watch the Sunshine Daydream video from it. The video is missing most of the show, but even so, when I watch it, I feel like I've experienced most of the story of that day. Obviously I haven't, but like any good movie, it is successful in delivering the illusion.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#102358 2 years, 10 months ago
I don't have a problem with Cornell being #1. I used to think it was a little overrated to, then I made a point to sit down and listen to the entire second set to try and understand what the hype was about. Then I got it. I blew me away. Combination of sound quality, and the band being "on".
This show is not popular because of the soundboard. The quality of the audience recording is part of what made this show so popular amongst traders. Perfect amount of crowd energy, and the music comes through perfectly at the same time. Its a perfect example of what an audience recording should sound like. I know their are a lot of great shows out there, but ive learned to respect this classic. If you haven't given this show a good listen in a while, at least listen to this Dancin in the Streets...
www.archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.maizn...icks.5002.sbeok.shnf
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds