• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
stricken
Gold Boarder

Re: Why do we interchange "furthur" and "Bob and Phil"

#101808 2 years, 9 months ago
A ROUND OF APLAUSE FOR ALL OFF YOU WHO KEEP THE FLAME WHILE SETTING OFF ON NEW HORIZENS
Bili
Junior Boarder
Burn Baby Burn

#101810 2 years, 9 months ago
Maybe, just maybe, for financial reasons.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#101815 2 years, 9 months ago
Because if Bob and Phil were not in the band they would be called "dark star orchestra" and none of us would travel to see them play......
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
sweetwilliamisdead
Junior Boarder

#101854 2 years, 9 months ago
splatter_face wrote:
Because if Bob and Phil were not in the band they would be called "dark star orchestra" and none of us would travel to see them play......

exactly right, they are the only thing that makes furthur different than the tons of other bands who play the gd catalog of music.

and whats more they call the shots and hand picked who would get to play in their new project. They also have much greater musical credentials & background than anyone else in the band, not that I am trying to discount the others. I think they have often been noted on posters and billings because without that noterity furthur could not have started playing the large tours and venues they did. Were as many other established bands don't list any individuals at all because they are not under the unique circustances that furthur has been. I dont think it is trying to underplay the value or ability of the other band members. I think the others are spectacular. and totally comfortable and honored to have the role they do in furthur. I plan to see what they have post furthur as well, really want some jeff c band
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#101912 2 years, 9 months ago
Last year all their names were on a lot of the merch, and posters. I'm really not sure what brought about the change.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#101956 2 years, 9 months ago
its the money honey. an old head told me the reason the started calling mickey and bobby the rythem devils was so they couldcollect royalties from the albums
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#102073 2 years, 9 months ago
Darkstar is a decent band, but the only member that comes from that group is JK, so I don't think we'd call them DSO, even if they weren't with Bobby and Phil! Benevento, Russo duo were decent, and Jeff played with RatDog, so I definitely think they deserve mention, as well as Sunshine and Jeff. They are all great artists, and I call Furthur, by their rightful name, because this band definitely stands out as one of the best line-ups post Grateful Dead, IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, 23atwell
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#102079 2 years, 9 months ago
I truly appreciate every person in this band, but fact is: I wouldn't be going through the great pangs to seem them if Phil wasn't in the band. I talk more highly of Russo than Chimenti and JK, but that's because I always focus on the percussion in a band. It's just how I process and listen to music that the keys and guitars play second class citizens. But I also don't like the idea of drums/space, acoustic sets, or other soloing because I love each part of this group and only want to hear them as a complete ensemble.

Is this really a problem? Now that I'm thinking about it in these terms, I don't think I've ever heard anyone disregard or disrespect the rest of the band by not referring to them as Furthur or by isolating Bob and Phil from the others. I know the marketing team does it sometimes, but I attribute that to people who are outsiders, whether they work for Furthur or not. They're disconnected from reality and merely trying to manipulate the market. At the beginning, it made more sense to do that. Doesn't take a genius to realize The Dead pull a much larger audience than Ratdog or PL&F. Now that business phase 101 is over and done, I wouldn't expect them to use that ploy much.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#102137 2 years, 9 months ago
GratefulDad420 wrote:
Darkstar is a decent band, but the only member that comes from that group is JK, so I don't think we'd call them DSO, even if they weren't with Bobby and Phil! Benevento, Russo duo were decent, and Jeff played with RatDog, so I definitely think they deserve mention, as well as Sunshine and Jeff. They are all great artists, and I call Furthur, by their rightful name, because this band definitely stands out as one of the best line-ups post Grateful Dead, IMHO.

I know the members history and have seen DSO a ton of times in several states. What I meant is that they would be a band (like DSO) that are great musicians and know GD music well, but are still a cover band. We love Furthur because they are STILL the GD with some OBVIOUS line up changes. They are great because of Bob and Phil
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#102154 2 years, 9 months ago
I follow ya, I just never really interchanged Bob and Phil with Furthur. The only time I say it's Bobby and Phil of the GD with their new band, is when I am on some city street and someone walks by wondering who is the band playing tonight..
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds