• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DrippingColors
Junior Boarder

Grandma's Eyes

#101227 2 years, 4 months ago
There's a sadness today in Grandma's eyes.
There's unease in her smile.
Born through decades of work and worry, her hesitance is real.
The winding road has pitfalls and depression era detours.
Memories of war and illness are filed inside her mind.
Grandma's gaze is sallow and weathered by the sun.
The moistness of her tears do not irrigate her skin.
There's a willfulness in her heart, unburdened by her age.
Her mind is in the future, her thoughts are in the past.
There's an eagerness in Grandma's gait and wisdom upon her brow.
There's history in her fingers, like the rings within a tree.
Grandma loves her babies even ones that went astray.
There's love in Grandma's touch from a thousand miles away.

Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by DrippingColors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, wlewis, skidoo, scar1et_f1re, JAugustW
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

Re: Grandma's Eyes

#101262 2 years, 4 months ago
absolutely beautiful poem. My Grandma and I were very close.
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrippingColors
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#101312 2 years, 4 months ago
That hits a perfect note this time of year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420, DrippingColors
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#101411 2 years, 4 months ago
this speaks my life. i grew up with my one of my grandmothers (as well as both parents) but she raised me while my folks worked long hours. when i see her now of course i am happy but i develop a strange feeling, and your poem describes it, perfectly.

i hope you don't mind dripping colors but i have an anecdote about another grandmother

i lost one of my other grandmothers (i have three by a divorce) during the spring tour while i was on the road. a dreadful call. i knew something was wrong when i received the call from my sister that early. i was able to go home for the funeral on the sat night tower show, didn't have a ticket and assumed i wouldn't be going. as the funeral wrapped up i was getting ready to slowly make my way back to philly for the rest of the tour, when george and co. called me with an extra for under face. i drove about 95 mph back to philly from WNY and walked in during the opener, of course, music never stopped. i think my grandmother wanted me to be at that show. she guided me there. the entire trip back seemed impossible while calculating in my head. i ended up running about 3/4 a mile to the box office out of breath. he's gone, not fade away, we love you, the wheel, black peter, gdtrfb>bid you goodnight all took on new meanings that particular night.

thanks a lot for the poem dripping colors!

are these all your own work?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
DrippingColors
Junior Boarder

#101495 2 years, 4 months ago
@wlewis

Thank you for your kind words. Love the heartwarming story about your grandmother. I've kept a journal sporadically for many years. I used to read it to my wife on New Year's Eve, but we seemed to miss a few years. I decided, on a whim, to start writing it on the computer because I struggle to write legibly. On a another whim, I started posting them on Facebook, and now on the Furthur Forum. I try to write about observations that have a universal appeal, as opposed to the average laundry list of routine daily tasks that seem to dominate FB entries. I know a published poet who told me that avoiding the confines of rhyming will free up my descriptive wording. Even if no one reads them, it feels good to blast my words off into cyberspace rather than letting them fade in notebooks on dusty shelves. Everything after that is bonus. Thanks for responding.

On another note, did I read you are sitting in row dd on 4/9/12?, we're in seats 10 and 12
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#101527 2 years, 3 months ago
i see, nice work my friend!

yes, i'm on the other side though, the "odd" side. we'll have to meet up, i'll send you a pm. do you use that function of the site?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#101585 2 years, 3 months ago
Good one DC..."There's history in her fingers, like the rings within a tree"

Lewis....shared that show with you.... the Dark Star>We Love You> Dark Star> Help>Slip>11.....too, eh?

One of the best I've ever seen...including GD.
DrippingColors
Junior Boarder

#101694 2 years, 3 months ago
@wlewis tell me how to pm
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by DrippingColors.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#101701 2 years, 3 months ago
Great work Dripping color. I too felt that poem loud and clear. A bit sad, nostalgic for me, as all my grandparents have passed on. But I think that's part of the beauty of the works you've been sharing.

To PM WLewis, go to one of the posts wlewis wrote, click on the icon on the bottom right below his picture (when you hover your mouse over the icon, it should say PM this user). To check your PM's, click on the "Private Messages" text towards the top of this site (should be right below "Music Talk". PM me if you have any troubles (ok - bad joke)
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.94 seconds