• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Do you believe there is life on other planets

#101211 2 years, 9 months ago
I definitely do. But the universe is still a big mystery to science (we don't even know what is living in our oceans, there are always new species being discovered). I recently watched something on tv where they have identified planets that appear to have life, although interesting enough it did not appear to be carbon based life like on earth.

Astronomers have detected the first Earth-sized planets, which are orbiting a star similar to our own Sun.

earth2.jpg

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16268950

In the distant past they may have been able to support life and one of them may have had conditions similar to our own planet - a so-called Earth-twin - according to the research team.

They have described their findings as the most important planets ever discovered outside our Solar System.

Details of the discovery are outlined in Nature journal.

Dr Francois Fressin, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics in Cambridge, US, who led the research, said that the discovery was the beginning of a "new era" of discovery of many more planets similar to our own.

Both planets are now thought to be too hot to be capable of supporting life.

But according to Dr Fressin, the planets were once further from their star and cool enough for liquid water to exist on their surface, which is a necessary condition for life.

"We know that these two planets may have migrated closer to their Sun," he told BBC News. "(The larger of the two) might have been an Earth twin in the past. It has the same size as Earth and in the past it could have had the same temperature".
Rock and a hard place

One of the planets, named Kepler 20f, is almost exactly the size of the Earth. Kepler 20e is slightly smaller at 0.87 times the radius of Earth and is closer to its star than 20f.

They are both much closer to their star than the Earth is to the Sun and so they complete an orbit much more quickly: 20e circles its star in just six days, 20f completes an orbit in 20 days whereas the Earth takes a year.

The researchers say that these planets are rocky and similar in composition to our own planet.

Dr Fressin says that the planets' composition may be similar to Earth's with a third of it consisting of iron core. The remainder probably consists of a silicate mantle. He also believes that the outer planet (Kepler 20f) may have developed a thick, water vapour atmosphere.

The discovery is important because it is the first confirmation that planets the size of Earth and smaller exist outside our Solar System. It also shows that the Kepler Space Telescope is capable of detecting relatively small planets around stars that are thousands of light-years away.

The telescope has discovered 35 planets so far. Apart from 20e and f, they have all been larger than the Earth.

Up until now, the most significant discovery, also by a group including Dr Fressin, was of a planet nearly two-and-a-half times the size of Earth that lay in the so-called "Goldilocks zone". This is the region around a star where it is neither too hot, nor too cold, but just right for liquid water and therefore life to exist on the planet.

But Dr Fressin believes that the two new planets are a much more important discovery.

The telescope is scanning 150,000 stars and Professor Andrew Coates of the Mullard Space Science Laboratory in Surrey believes that they will soon find a planet the size of Earth in the Goldilocks Zone.

"With every new discovery we're getting closer to the 'holy grail' of an Earth-like planet around a Sun-like star," he said.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Do you believe there is life on other planets

#101212 2 years, 9 months ago
yes i do and i believe they are smart enough to want nothing to do with the human race
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, doodahman66
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#101214 2 years, 9 months ago
there's definitely life out there cause we're way beyond carrying capacity for this planet and if there isn't more life out there who's couch are we gonna crash on when the shit hits the fan !
stricken
Gold Boarder

#101215 2 years, 9 months ago
Just by the numbers alone one would have to think that there is some sort of life out there. Just gotta hope were not supper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#101217 2 years, 9 months ago
now the 1 percent can buy billion dollar tickets on the spaceship to this virgin earth and leave the rest of us here to choke!
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#101221 2 years, 9 months ago
There is a recent story of amino acids found in a meteorite. The building blocks of life are zooming around the universe in asteroids waiting to take seed.

news.discovery.com/space/meteorite-amino-acids-101221.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf
Grateful_Hiker
Junior Boarder
Singing and dancing down the trail...

#101223 2 years, 9 months ago
There has to be more life out there, it's only a matter of time before we find it.... or it finds us.
dept.
Junior Boarder
Church of the Imagination Divine

#101225 2 years, 9 months ago
Who Lives ?

"But Dr Fressin believes that the two new planets are a much more important discovery."

When scientist start talking about how they believe something, i stop listening.

belief has no place in science, it is best left for those who can't let go of their superstition addiction.

besides that... other planets are life... the whole universe is alive... isn't that enough ?
iLove,
---Dept.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#101231 2 years, 9 months ago
dept. wrote:
Who Lives ?

"But Dr Fressin believes that the two new planets are a much more important discovery."

When scientist start talking about how they believe something, i stop listening.

belief has no place in science, it is best left for those who can't let go of their superstition addiction.

besides that... other planets are life... the whole universe is alive... isn't that enough ?

I think science should be embraced. You ever hear of the black death (Plague), cancer, heart disease, etc. We've come a long way, with plenty more to go. Science always begins with a hypothesis, an idea to be tested over and over.

Interesting thought though, should we want to know what's out there. I think yes.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Chester
More or less in line

#101239 2 years, 9 months ago
Absolutely! Given the sheer size of the galaxy, let alone the universe, one would have to presume, by the odds alone,
that there is not only life, but intelligent life. Of every type and level. I believe life is a force, which, if given the right
conditions, will exist wherever it can get a foothold. And if it survives long enough, it will thrive. And, intelligence is a
measure of how adaptable it can become, within it's native environment.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds