• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

RIP beloved brother Warren Hellman

#100838 2 years, 4 months ago
The music world is mourning the loss yesterday of one of the best friends of live music, Warren Hellman. Mere words alone cannot express the deep gratitude and love the SF Bay area feels for Warren. In addition to being a financial genius, he was one of the world's great philanthropists and a fine loving human being. He was a humble man who loved to play bluegrass with his friends as The Wronglers, and every year he funded the best concert anywhere, free or otherwise, Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. We will all miss him on so many levels. He can truly be said to be a man who made a difference on many levels. Rest in peace, Warren. We love you.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/...1M9LUD.DTL&tsp=1
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Daisy Mae.
Tiki Mon
Junior Boarder

Re: RIP beloved brother Warren Hellman

#101025 2 years, 4 months ago
I've had many a good time in Golden Gate Park thanks to Warren. RIP. There's plans for a HSB in 2012 still. I'm sure it will be a wonderful tribute.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#101047 2 years, 4 months ago
Godbless Warren Hellman.
i have enjoyed HSBG, but he is also one of the richest men who give back. and hes a new yorker, but fell in love with SF.
the west IS the best, get here, and we'll do the rest.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#101512 2 years, 4 months ago
The newspaper article said something about a public tribute to be held in a few weeks. Possibly a free concert in GGP? If so, we'll be there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#101520 2 years, 4 months ago
i would love to attend also, this guy really goes down in SF history(and USA history) as a truly great guy.
i will attend next years HSBG, having not been in a couple years, and im sure they will have some sort of
rememberance.
SF should have a Hellman day, and everybody should give something away.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#101555 2 years, 4 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
i would love to attend also, this guy really goes down in SF history(and USA history) as a truly great guy.
i will attend next years HSBG, having not been in a couple years, and im sure they will have some sort of
rememberance.
SF should have a Hellman day, and everybody should give something away.

That's a great idea! Flash mob giveaway!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#101569 2 years, 4 months ago
77, of complications from leukemia.

From the obit:

Mr. Hellman built a fortune as an investor and seemed determined to spend much of it. Co-founder of the Hellman & Friedman private-equity firm, he poured money into local causes, some political, some personal.

He bankrolled San Francisco ballot measures that reformed the city's pension system and created an underground parking garage beneath Golden Gate Park. He funded the San Francisco Free Clinic and helped set up an endowment to support aquatic sports at UC Berkeley, where he played water polo as a student. Concerned about dwindling local news coverage in the Internet age, he helped form the Bay Citizen online journalism site.

And in 2001, Mr. Hellman sponsored a free, outdoor concert devoted to bluegrass music, a love he had nurtured for years.

Since then, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival has grown into an annual three-day event drawing more than 300,000 people to Golden Gate Park. It is still free, with costs covered by an endowment that Hellman - an amateur banjo player - created to ensure that the festival would continue "after I croak," he said.

His daughter Patricia Hellman Gibbs confirmed Sunday that "yes, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival will go on!"

And some more.....

He called the bluegrass festival a "selfish gift," one that he, the musicians and the community could all enjoy.

"How could you have more fun than that?" he told Forbes. "What the hell is money for if it isn't for something like that?"

Part of Golden Gate Park will bear his name as a result. The San Francisco Recreation and Park Commission recently agreed to rename Speedway Meadow, the center of the festival, as Hellman Hollow.

Mr. Hellman learned of the name change last week, said his son, Mick Hellman. "It meant a ton to him," he said. "He was incredibly gratified."

Read more: www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/...UD.DTL#ixzz1h8W6K24F

Read more: www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/...UD.DTL#ixzz1h8VUOINc
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds