• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Dead Hate

#100669 2 years, 9 months ago
All a matter of perspective. I clearly remember how much people hated Shakedown Street when it first came out. Now it's considered part of the Golden Era. I think it was David Gans who wrote that the Dead's songs were designed to sink in over the long haul so that people wouldn't get bored as they saw them again and again.

That said, I am one person who wishes that "What's Become Of The Baby" was in heavy rotation.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Canyon
Junior Boarder

#100670 2 years, 9 months ago
check this book out, gets into what you are talking about and more...I remember my first JGB tour in '89. I couldn't believe how much all those guys on tour hated and mean HATED Bobby. but yes it's always been there, just part of our reality. I like to say "it's been all downhill since Mcgoos"

books.google.ca/books?id=wFuE229iBwkC&am...age&q&f=true
Shoot the breeze, lose the keys
Feed the poor, stop the war
Make the signs, connect the lines
Pay your fines, save your dimes
Watch The Feds, Dig The Dead

reflectionsofmatter.com
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Canyon.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#100675 2 years, 9 months ago
Canyon wrote:
check this book out, gets into what you are talking about and more...I remember my first JGB tour in '89. I couldn't believe how much all those guys on tour hated and mean HATED Bobby. but yes it's always been there, just part of our reality. I like to say "it's been all downhill since Mcgoos"

books.google.ca/books?id=wFuE229iBwkC&am...age&q&f=true

Great Intro: "The Grateful Dead is the most loved and hated band in the world. The band, it's members, and it's fans -- the deadheads -- have always been the subject of discussions and arguments, and there are few who can claim the middle ground between love and hate"

Thanks for sharing the link. Looks like an interesting read.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#100706 2 years, 9 months ago
Equinox wrote:

That said, I am one person who wishes that "What's Become Of The Baby" was in heavy rotation.

Yea, I wish they did more really weird stuff like that. I saw "Whats Become of the Baby" at Radio City, I enjoyed it for most part. I also used it as a bathroom break (believe me their was WAY more than enough time to use that song as a bathroom break-it went on for about 20 mins). But their was a lot of really confused people when they were going on and on with this really weird song, seemed like nobody knew what was going on, nobody knew what they were playing, and why it sounded so weird. I love stuff like that though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, MushroomMan
Bili
Junior Boarder
Burn Baby Burn

#100860 2 years, 9 months ago
when i toured with the dead bobby was cheesy....
Bili
Junior Boarder
Burn Baby Burn

#100871 2 years, 9 months ago
He's still cheesy. The bugger wouldnt give me a ride to the Broomfield show last year. We stayed in the same hotel, we talked for a while and then when show time came along ponytail (the guy that looks after his guitar) said i couldnt hitch a ride with him in the shuttle bus, there were a couple of other dudes from CA that were also shunned. . bobby didnt stick up for me, just shrugged his shoulders and smiled...i was dissed. freak, still had a great time at the show though...
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#100876 2 years, 9 months ago
JAugustW wrote:
....quite a few early Deadheads jumped off board when "Workingman's Dead" and "American Beauty" were released. All they wanted to hear was "What's Become of the Baby?" things, and thought those two gems of albums represented some sort of betrayal of the band's psychedelic roots....

Thats funny, In Phils book he describes those albums as a return to their roots, Something that they had gotten away from with all the Psychedelic wierdness of their music in the 60's.

I believe it to be a progression, Nothing you can hold for very long, Take what you learn and improve what you have.
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#100950 2 years, 9 months ago
I've always been perplexed by the Quicksilver Messenger Service devotees who felt as part of their love for QMS there was an obligation to hate the GD. I've seen it many, many times. Part of it comes across as blatant jealousy because their band never took hold like the GD did, but it goes beyond that. So strange. I've seen something similar from devout The Velvet Underground people, but that at least makes some sense to me.

"the more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

good article comparing the GD and The Velvet Undergound:
www.lrb.co.uk/v29/n06/mark-greif/the-right-kind-of-pain
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#100979 2 years, 9 months ago
toured in what capacity? and what do you mean by 'cheesy'?
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#100980 2 years, 9 months ago
JAugustW your input is greatly appreciated seeing as most people here saw their shows in the 80's or are like me and were born after the fact (i was 4 when Jerry died), not to take anything away from all the other wonderful people who post here but i am fascinated by the fact that you said you first caught them in the late 60's/early 70's (or maybe i'm dreaming but i think i remember you saying that), but i have to ask people were actually upset with Workingman's Dead and American Beauty..it's not that i don't believe you, but those are my two favorite albums of all time and i can't wrap my head around anyone not liking them...that's crazy i can't imagine being a deadhead and then jumping off the bus right before it spiraled into something really, really amazing i bet they are kicking themselves now (or jumped back on and never admit that they weren't too fond of the new direction the dead went at the turn of the 70's)

if i may ask, do you have a favorite show from the earlier days JAugustW, i love the early stuff the best and would love to hear some stories from someone who was there early on
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds