• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
JAugustW
Junior Boarder

Dead Hate

#100628 2 years, 9 months ago
As I mentioned to one or two members privately, I've seen Dead hate since way back when. And in all the decades since.
In the early days, there were legions of people in the SF bay area -- rabid believers in the "Power to the People" trip -- who couldn't stand The Dead because they essentially stopped playing free shows.
Then -- believe it or not -- quite a few early Deadheads jumped off board when "Workingman's Dead" and "American Beauty" were released. All they wanted to hear was "What's Become of the Baby?" things, and thought those two gems of albums represented some sort of betrayal of the band's psychedelic roots.
I also remember a lot of "Fuck that!" when the Shakedown Street album came out.
Plus, all the grief they got about playing football stadiums.
There have always been more than a few music critics who habitually blistered the band, too. There's one guy in Chicago -- I can't recall his name, but I believe he's still around -- who always described them as a tired oldies band who thinks the flower power days are still relevant.
And now -- as I'm sure everyone noticed -- Furthur and its management got raked over the coals by some about the Beacon situation.
Wish I could learn to take all that venom in stride, but it's tough. Because if ever musicians didn't deserve it, it's The Dead, Bobby and Phil, et al.
But, oh, well... we're all entitled to our opinions, aren't we?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Dead Hate

#100631 2 years, 9 months ago
Some people will always see the glass as half empty. Glad I don't see things that way with the dead. PS - I always liked the band and the music but it was that 'disco album' shakedown steet that hooked me for life.

One man gathers what another man spills.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
stricken
Gold Boarder

#100633 2 years, 9 months ago
There are fans and then thiers fanatics.
volare
Senior Boarder

#100638 2 years, 9 months ago
people are like that....there were swarms of people who rejected Dylan when he went electric, but now I have Highway 61 and they don't.....

just gotta remember one thing:

haters-gonna-hate.gif
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: teafortexas
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#100639 2 years, 9 months ago
I think you nailed it! Folks get caught up in their immediate, personal situations. Life evolves. Celebrate the change or move on, without the hate. Thanks for the perspective
JAugustW wrote:
As I mentioned to one or two members privately, I've seen Dead hate since way back when. And in all the decades since.
In the early days, there were legions of people in the SF bay area -- rabid believers in the "Power to the People" trip -- who couldn't stand The Dead because they essentially stopped playing free shows.
Then -- believe it or not -- quite a few early Deadheads jumped off board when "Workingman's Dead" and "American Beauty" were released. All they wanted to hear was "What's Become of the Baby?" things, and thought those two gems of albums represented some sort of betrayal of the band's psychedelic roots.
I also remember a lot of "Fuck that!" when the Shakedown Street album came out.
Plus, all the grief they got about playing football stadiums.
There have always been more than a few music critics who habitually blistered the band, too. There's one guy in Chicago -- I can't recall his name, but I believe he's still around -- who always described them as a tired oldies band who thinks the flower power days are still relevant.
And now -- as I'm sure everyone noticed -- Furthur and its management got raked over the coals by some about the Beacon situation.
Wish I could learn to take all that venom in stride, but it's tough. Because if ever musicians didn't deserve it, it's The Dead, Bobby and Phil, et al.
But, oh, well... we're all entitled to our opinions, aren't we?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#100641 2 years, 9 months ago
Thanks for pointing this out. Sometimes people try to say that everything was perfect when Jerry was around, or everything was perfect in the old days. The further you go back in Dead history, the more we tend to glamorize those days as being perfect, everyone was in agreement and just enjoying the band. But it actually just wasn't true.
I can imagine a lot of people complaining and turning their backs on the GD when they stopped playing for free in the park.
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#100645 2 years, 9 months ago
GREAT THREAD and so true! The band has GIVEN us so much joy and the true heads out there know this and have stayed on board thru the entire journey no matter when we got on the bus. Life is easier to complain and make excuses as this Earth is full of them. These guys could play "Old McDonald" and I would be dancing, grooving and smiling, as for me there is no other band and players that have tapped into the collective consciousness for ALL of us to share and learn from. THANKS to everyone who jumped off the bus, so there is more room for us peaceful love bearing Deadheads!
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#100650 2 years, 9 months ago
I thought it was all over for me after Jerry passed.Furthur brought me back and I will try to enjoy till it's over.I will always love this music!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, killwhyT, SunshineSue, Bakes, jk420, Cosmic Arkie, will work for doses
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#100658 2 years, 9 months ago
volare wrote:
people are like that....there were swarms of people who rejected Dylan when he went electric, but now I have Highway 61 and they don't.....

just gotta remember one thing:

haters-gonna-hate.gif

Perfect anaology with Dylan. He went from folk-hero to total sell-out as soon as he went electric. I think that ended up not tarnishing his legacy.

An unfortunate fact of life > Haters Hate and I pity them for it. Life is wwwaaaayyyyy too short!
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#100659 2 years, 9 months ago
JAugust, you sound so much like a caller from Ariz on last Sunday's radio show, tales from the golden road. 66 year old guy was in SF in the late 50's, served in Vietnam and then came back. He was on in on the ground floor. The takeaway for me from that caller is that he's stayed positive, the scene was always more than just the music, it was a kinder way of life. A real world living a good, moral life "love your neighbor", "do unto others". And he contiunues to live his life that way. Made me smile for sure.

The caller described knowing the music before he ever heard it. Gan's said that John Denver called it "being back home to someplace you've never been".

Anyway, if you haven't listened, last Sundays tales had a number of great phone calls.

Also, David Gan's mentioned he's writing a book, and he lit up when this caller called and he's going to interview him off the air. I suspect he'd also like to interview any other heads who were early on the scene. If interested you may want to hit him up on his facebook page.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds