brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

MSG anyone?

#56974 3 years ago
Will be doing john paul jones which is 45 mins away for me.

Then Im heading to msg by amtrak bymyself. Went to brookyln last year with someone. Had a room, but im planning on riding up on thurs and coming back on fri and hanging in train station overnight. Is this wise? By the way this is the first show I've ever fine solo to.
GOOD LOVE
Last Edit: 3 years ago by brokenarrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: irishqueenie
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

Re: MSG anyone?

#57118 3 years ago
We have taken the train up and stayed across the street at affina manhattan (expensive if you don't find a deal) it is not fun to be wandering around by yourself- but there will be lots of heads around- mega bus is wicked cheap if you jump on it soon- you might be able to get outta dodge earlier than you think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brokenarrow
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#57662 3 years ago
There are always plenty of afterparties after a MSG show. You may be better served partying all night. The train stations are filled with lots of homeless people those hours and the cops do hassle them. I know the Long Island Rail Road has a waiting room in Penn Station, sometimes they makes you show a ticket to go there. I suppose Amtrack has a waiting room too, but I am not sure about that.

Bottom line, it's relatively safe to stay overnight in Penn Station (I assume you are taking Amtrak) but generally it's a lot of homeless. If this terror threat is still in force they may not let people stay there without hassling them, I don;t know. . Currently the Hercules officers (the scary guys with the big machine guns, helmets, body armor and their fingers on the trigger at all times) are all over.

I am used to the Hercules cops but at times when you walk up a stairwell and see these guys pointing those huge guns, it makes your heart flutter for a sec. Especially when they are intense like the past week.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#58070 3 years ago
yeah it is hopping for sure all over town for the show funny no radio city I was sooo hoping for , but lots of folks to hang with in the city that doesnt sleep !!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#58349 3 years ago
theres a youth hostel uptown try a google search Port authority canbe dangerous ,especially outside and the blocks around it late at nite if you look like an easy target odds areyoull get mugged
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#58400 3 years ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
theres a youth hostel uptown try a google search Port authority canbe dangerous ,especially outside and the blocks around it late at nite if you look like an easy target odds areyoull get mugged

really i thought that was a relatively safe area but really i have no clue i am not familiar at all with nyc, always been a western new yorker..the only place i felt uncomfortable there during the spring tour was probably port authority inside the actual building...seemed too dead late at night, some strange things going on, weird stairwells escalators elevators terminals not one schedule is correct nobody knows what is going on bus numbers aren't right...i mean i don't know, maybe it waaaaaas the doses, all i know i could not leave my brain there
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
ratdogdonna
Junior Boarder

#59598 3 years ago
I have been going solo for a few years now & don't have any probs - however - I would not, not ever go into NYC and spend the night in the Penn Station or wherever. Almost got in a fight in the restroom a while back because some wench was kicking all the doors in while I was trying to go. All kinds of unusual peeps are around. Good luck & enjoy
Let there be songs to fill the air <3
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#59747 3 years ago
ratdogdonna wrote:
I have been going solo for a few years now & don't have any probs - however - I would not, not ever go into NYC and spend the night in the Penn Station or wherever. Almost got in a fight in the restroom a while back because some wench was kicking all the doors in while I was trying to go. All kinds of unusual peeps are around. Good luck & enjoy

If you are able to stay in the waiting area of Penn Station, and you don't mind just hanging out in a chair, the waiting room is safe, there is a police guarding the place to TRY to keep some of the more unwashed homeless people away. But the wating room I am thinking of is for the Long Island Rail Road, I don't know if you can stay there with an Amtrack ticket and I don't know if Amtrack has a separate waiting room.

Most of Penn Station has police and national guard, especially nowadays, so you would be relatively safe. However, I don't think I would sleep there with anything valuable. Lots of good con artists and petty thieves. Not uncommon to find your pockets picked or have them even slice your pockets with a knife and remove things. I hate to say this but if someone looks like they may be a con artist and they sit next to you, be on your guard and consider moving.

Port Authority is generally much worse than Penn Station, they have cleaned up 42nd street quite a bit (thanks to Disney and the likes) but it still has a dark side late at night.

I don't know where the youth center is , but once you start getting close to 125th street (Harlem) or more uptown like Washington Heights I don't think you would be comfortable there late at night.

And Donna, I suspect the men's bathrooms are worse than the womens. It seems there are more men that are homeless than woman...at least on the streets.

I can definitely help with letting you know what areas are more safe and which areas to avoid. Feel free to pm me if you'd like.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds