• You are here
jim117
Fresh Boarder

Guidance for 2 Red Rocks virgins please

#281057 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello everyone. I'm new on the forum and asking for some friendly advice. Me and my lady are flying in to Denver for a week hoping to catch all the shows. We'll be staying at the Chief Hosa campground each night of the shows....btw the lady at Chief Hosa said there was plenty of room, so I'm a bit confused as to the warning that concertgoers are not welcomed there. But she didn't ask and I didn't tell her...

Meanwhile, can anyone make any suggestions as far as warnings, recommendations and general info for our trip? You know, some expert info on the venue, the good bars (meaning CHEAP ), restaurants or fun places to go before and after the shows.

Thanks.
bozwald
Fresh Boarder

Re: Guidance for 2 Red Rocks virgins please

#281087 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Check out the Tommyknocker Brewery in Idaho Springs. It is just a few miles away and is worth the drive
The following user(s) said Thank You: jim117
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#281093 7 months, 2 weeks ago
First trip to CO as well?

It all depends on what you want to do/see and how far you are willing to drive.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
jim117
Fresh Boarder

#281136 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank bozwald! We'll definitely check that place out.
jim117
Fresh Boarder

#281137 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Yes 1st trip to CO, too, Denver Man. We're probably not going to drive more than an hour from the Red Rocks local area during the days. The goal will be to do some hiking/ sightseeing during the days and of course, checking out the local scenes.
Last Edit: 7 months, 2 weeks ago by jim117.
pinkstang
Fresh Boarder

#281177 7 months, 1 week ago
Beautiful venue, leave early (even for a Dead show , you'll probably have a walk in and a slow line on the lots of stairs. They're great with what you can bring in, be sure to cut up your fruit or they may confiscate it (check out the website for what you can bring in).

If you're around before the day of the show, Red Rocks is open to walk around in and around the amphitheater.

Close by off Rt.70, Genesee Park, Buffalo Bills grave, sometimes there's Buffalo grazing near the highway exit.

Denver Zoo

If you're an early riser, its about 1 1/2 hour drive but plan at least an extra hour back for traffic - two near Colorado Springs (not both the same day)
Pikes Peak Cog Rail -Manitou Springs- goes to the top of Pikes Peak, spectacular view from top - buy tickets ahead online as train fills up, take early train to get back to show ontime
Garden of the Gods - Colorado Springs - Beautiful park with rock formations, if you like hiking be sure to take a walk up to the twins, if you step back, you can see Pikes Peak through the hole in the rock, great place for a pic.

Much more than an hour drive, but we do this our first day there when we're still on east coast time and can get up really early, drive through Rocky Mountain National Park. Breathtaking beauty! All day trip, not a lot of time for pictures or hiking on a show day, but we do the gravel stair trail at the visitors center to catch the spectacular view (if its reopened), or there's a similar trail near some restrooms a little more down the road. Beware, we go in on the west side and drive east through the park, long ride home from Estes Park when you get out of the park, plan this trip carefully to get back in time for the show!

One more if you have an extra day with no show to get to. Canon City Gorge Bridge, then take a ride on the Royal Gorge Railroad and check out the bridge from the bottom of the gorge.

Hope you have a great time! We can't wait for the shows. Its so beautiful out there, so worth the trip. Someday we're going and not coming home!
Diane
At least we're enjoing the ride!
Longmont
Junior Boarder
spent a little time on the hill

#281315 7 months, 1 week ago
I'm pretty sure Royal Gorge Bridge is still closed due to fire damage. They hope to reopen sometime in the fall.
jim117
Fresh Boarder

#281418 7 months, 1 week ago
Lots of great info- thanks so much! We'll definitely do some of it. I now think we can't fly all the way out there without doing Colorado Springs one day. So the Monday after that's where we'll be. And Pinkstang- thanks for the comprehensive info. I'm gonna be printing that out and taking with. Peace.
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by jim117.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#281505 7 months, 1 week ago
Ideally you would do the big road trips i.e. CO Springs, RMNP, etc. on a non-concert day. You can easily get burned on I-25 (Co Springs) at any given moment. A routine 45 min drive can quickly turn into 2 hours. There is a lot you can do right around the red rocks area. Golden is a cool town, Boulder is not horribly far ~ 45 min, and Nederland is a really cool little mnt town just 15 min north of Boulder and the peak to peak highway to get there is a gorgeous drive. After show, I would imagine Quixotes in downtown Denver would have some sort of after party going on, plus it is the best bar in Colorado.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder

#281694 7 months, 1 week ago
If you go to Idaho Springs you might want to check out Indian Hot springs.
Time to create page: 1.34 seconds