• You are here
Fresh Boarder

Friends of the Nemaiah Valley

#76544 2 years, 10 months ago
We as Deadheads can be instrumental in making a change with enviromental issues like this, I have been to this area and have seen the grizzlies and drank the water this is a special place, it is our earth our home, your home. THE FUTURE'S HERE, WE ARE IT WE ARE ON OUR OWN. Please take a minute and make your voice heard, and check out the beautiful photos at fonv.ca Peace

Hello All Friends of Friends of the Nemaiah Valley;

The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency needs to hear from you today.

In just 2 weeks, on Nov. 7th, the CEAA will decide whether to proceed with an environmental review of Taseko’s “New” Prosperity Mine project. In 2010 Taseko admitted to the CEAA Panel (and they agreed) that the option to mine without draining Teztan Biny/Fish Lake was in fact the more environmentally destructive alternative. It is essentialy that very same alternative that Taseko is now rebranding as the "new and improved" mine project.

Last year, FONV supporters came through with overwhelming support for the Tsilhqot’in people to protect their traditional homeland and culture, to say NO to destroying a lake filled with 85,000 trout, to condemn a proposal that would severely compromise the habitat of grizzlies and other wildlife. Thanks to your generosity, experts were able to attend the CEAA Panel hearings and ensure that this project was stopped. You also wrote and emailed hundreds of letters to the CEAA Panel to voice your opposition to such a disastrous project.

Please take time, once again, to let the CEAA Panel know that you don’t want your tax dollars to be spent on an ill-conceived proposal that has already been rejected as worse than the proposal the federal government turned down last November.

You can use This Letter prepared by the Sierra Club at the link below and change it to reflect your own concerns.
action.sierraclub.bc.ca/actions/new-fish...-proposal-a-disaster

We remind you that, in spite of Brian Battison’s (Taseko V-P) statements to the contrary, there has been no consultation between Taseko and First Nations and that there is currently a case before the Appeal Court of B.C. in regard to rights and title of the Tsilhqot'in people that has yet to be ruled on.
Here are some other links of interest:

Congratulations to Chief Marilyn Baptiste on receiving the Wilderness Committee's 2011 Eugene Rogers award for her defense of Teztan Biny on behalf of the Tsilhqot'in people!

Taseko is continuing with an aggressive lobbying campaign for "New" Prosperity. Read Here to see what the Tsilhqot'in people are up against.

While in Ottawa, Xeni Gwet'in Chief Marilyn Baptiste and UBCIC Grand Chief Stewart Phillip were interviewed by CPAC. Scroll along to the 13:53 mark to see this interview. Brain Battison is also interviewed but provides neither information about the "mitigation" measures Taseko says they will implement nor any rebuttal to Taseko's own engineering V-P who warned that Teztan Biny would be eventually ruined even if it wasn't drained.

APTN video clips covering this issue since Sep. 2010 and including interviews with the Chiefs during their recent trip to Ottawa, can be seen here: APTN

Finally, here's a list of email addresses that you can use to contact officials regarding the "New" Propsperity Mine. Please use either the link to the letter above or this list to say "NO" now.

1) Elaine Feldman - President of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency

Email: elaine.feldman@ceaa-acee.gc.ca - Phone: 613-948-2671

2) Dean Stinson O'Gorman CEAA Review Panels Director

Email: dean.stinsonogorman@ceaa-acee.gc.ca - Phone: 613-957-0065

3) Lisa Walls - CEAA Pacific-Yukon Region Director:

Email: lisa.walls@ceaa-acee.gc.ca - Phone: 604-666-6989

4) Peter Kent - Federal Minister of the Environment

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it - Phone: 613-992-0253 / 905-886-9911

5) Megan Leslie - Federal Opposition Critic on the Environment

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it - Phone: 613-995-7614 / 902-426-8691

6) Christy Clark - BC Premier

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it - Phone: 604 775-1003 / 250 387-1715

Adrian Dix - Leader of Official Opposition in BC

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it - Phone: 250 387-3655 / 604 660-0314

Thank You.

Pat Swift
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phone: 250.592.1088
www.fonv.ca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------