• You are here
dean moriarty
Junior Boarder

Re: How about helping our men and women in uniform?

#101787 2 years, 3 months ago
scarlett,are you saying a volunteer army that commits untold horror upon our planets people and other life, and ensures inequality and domination in name of 'freedom' is something that deadheads should support and encourage with gift boxes?i am flabbergasted and disturbed.i almost never post anything,but this is too much....someone please explain when we started supporting death over love!
let your life proceed by its own design
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#101804 2 years, 3 months ago
Dean: as an Anti War activist I must say that I understand the points I assume that you are trying to make.

HOWEVER

I feel that we should support the troops no matter what the mission. We are not saying that you should send a gift box to lockhead, Boeing or anyone at the Cato Instatute.

Just a warm fuzzy if you wanna do somthing thoughful send our troops a care pack type thread.You don't have to if you don't want to.... Please lets just leave it at that.

PM me if you would like to dicuss, I enjoy hearing others thoughts and ideas.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#104392 2 years, 3 months ago
the arms manufacturers, etc, are the people who plan and start the wars...but it couoldnt happen without the troops, who willingly submit to being a part of one of the largest international criminal organizations in the world. the people who work for arms manufacturers wont fight these wars themselves, they just want to profit from it, and they recruit the poor and blindly patriotic to do it for them, and im sorry but im with dean...i cannot support the people that make it possible for these unethical wars to happen. it might be corporate CEO's, government agencies and presidential figures that decide to go to war, and fund the efforts, but the troops are the ones actually perpetrating the wars...if they said no, they wouldnt happen!
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#104508 2 years, 3 months ago
DL1943 I agree with you and Dean.

but, I feel that this discourse can be discussed in another place. This thread was for those who would like to, could send something to the troops.

That all, trust me I agree with the points made. Just sypathetic too. (bleeding heart)
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#105503 2 years, 3 months ago
dean moriarty wrote:
scarlett,are you saying a volunteer army that commits untold horror upon our planets people and other life, and ensures inequality and domination in name of 'freedom' is something that deadheads should support and encourage with gift boxes?i am flabbergasted and disturbed.i almost never post anything,but this is too much....someone please explain when we started supporting death over love!

Yes, I think most will agree that war is the most fucked up thing ever. Except those who stand to profit, including those who believe that war is the best thing for the economy and the stock market. And I am opposed to it at every level. BUT if there were not volunteers, you think W would have said, ah screw it, we can't invade Iraq? I don't think so. So yes, these men and woman are doing the work I do not have the balls to do. And I do not want to be drafted (too old anyway).

And many of the volunteers I hear of get scarred in some way from going into battle. Lots of PTSD, it fucks with them for life. So yes, if me sending them a Christmas decoration for the barracks or some socks to put on their feet helps them to see that people do not forget them, I am in favor of it 1000%. When these people signed up for the army, I don;t think they expected to be put in Hum Vee's without armor. So many people lost their lives due to the stupidity of the US gov't.

I gave some $ to Tsunami relief and they are using that $ to kill whales. I also gave to another disaster before that and they say the druglords stole most of the donations.

So if helping a human being who cannot go to the supermarket by sending them some GD CD's and magazines, or a bunch of bootleg dvds to pass the time (ain't no blockbuster there) or a bag of nuts helps them feel good, yes I am in favor. I really prefer to help our own.

And for what it's worth, the two packages I sent, one was to a fellow head, a really nice guy I met thourough the board and briefly in person. He is not in a combat role, rather a support role. But he is nevertheless in harms way. The second package went to some national guardsmen (or reserves, I am not sure) from NY who happened to be deployed.

I hope we never see a war again, but I am honestly sickened to see the soldiers come home and be ignored or perhaps worse. I think it's more human compassion. And I don't think most of them go over there to "kill kill kill kill". Many signed up after 9-11 and they wish to keep our country safe. It's hard, dirty work I really cannot do very well. I am thankful that someone else is willing to do it for us.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#105512 2 years, 3 months ago
dean moriarty wrote:

And yes, I agree with you in many ways Dean. I have a bitter hatred for some of our politicians for the fighting in Iraq. From what I know - which is not everything - I do not think there was any reason for us to deploy US troops there. Same with Vietnam. We were saving the world from communism? Give me a break. How many thousands died there. One death is too much.

And I don't believe it's either / or (death over love). I think there are evil groups out there (Al Quida, Hezbollah....) and love and hugs ain't gonna change nothing there. They are out to destroy this country, and I for one believe they need to have the living crap beat out of them. They will never listen to reason, they may nod and pretend to agree but then get stronger until they can kick our ass.

Reminds me of the road Iran is on now. A miserable regime.

John Lennon had it right. Imagine............

I hope some day...for sure.

Until then, I do support the soldiers.

PS - if you read what these folks are looking for, it's mostly clean socks, shampoo, batteries for flashlights, food, snacks, decorations or even a note saying hello.

Peace brother, I hope one day soon for everyone...everywhere.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds